Memory Foam and other mattresses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Restorer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks looking for some advice.

I'm looking for a new mattress and am bewildered by the choices.
Bought a new mattress couple of years ago and it's useless, saggy uncomfortable - you know the sort of thing.

Anyway, theres me and the good lady (both a bit on the heavy side :wink: ) and we want a new mattress. Bed we have is a nice pine framed slatted one, so don't want to get rid of it.

Does anyone have one of these memory foam type mattresses? are they any good? are they as good as the advertising would have you believe? Is Tempur (market leader) the way to go? Are they sweaty? what about chemical type smell?
What about latex mattresses (same sort of questions)?
What about good old horse hair stuffed mattresses?

Don't mind spending a few quid on this, but don't want to get the wrong thing or get sold a pup. Afterall you spend a long time in bed (well if the kids don't get up too early or keep you awake :lol: )

So anyone out there particularly happy with their bed and would recommend it?

Thanks

Stephen.

We've bought two mattresses from Heal's - Tottenham Court Road and have been very happy with them. The first one we bought maybe 10 years ago and that gave excellent service...starting to sag a little but still good enough for guests.

Second one we bought last year and quality still looks the same high standard.

I know some people assume that Heals' is expensive but IMHO not necessarily so and their designs/products are very good.

Hope that helps.

Oh yes...they were Heals-own mattresses. Firm..sprung..worth a visit.

Roger

stephen put a sheet of hardboard or mdf with holes in over the slats this will help to support the mattress, i made my own bed kingsize and got a mattress from ikea with the thin mattress that goes on top . the tempura mattress will cost you an arm and a leg :shock: :shock:

frank

We tried a memory foam mattress and for one reason or another just found we didn't like it. We ended up going for one with the maximum number of springs possible (per foot square or whatever the standard measurement is). I also found a "quick" sit down test isn't enough. You need to kick off those shoes and have a real good test - does it support you near the edges etc etc.

I remember now what put us off (I think it had some wizzo-new-best-bed-int-the-world marketing on it - and definately some latex in their somewhere - it had a chemically smell to it, and dunno just didn't seem very breathable. Can't quite put my finger on it - but we went for a pocket sprung with some 1000+ springs per whatever and have been totally happy since - espeically given the inbalance in our weights.

Adam

I had the same vision,but was too polite to ask who was the lighter/heavier one :lol:

Andrew

PowerTool":3w4zt4k1 said:
I had the same vision,but was too polite to ask who was the lighter/heavier one :lol:

Andrew

Hmm that'd be me. :oops: Actually not that imbalanced but since I injured my back 18months or so ago playing squash - i reckon I've put on a stone.

Adam

Ordered the memory foam mattress for our pine slatted bed just before christmas hope it will be here soon my backs killing me!

we were told that if you get to hot which I do( the wife says one that she will wake up next to a pile of ashes) the matttress moves away from you so you cool down perhaps then I will wake up floating on air :lol:

Majorlarf":33z800oq said:
Ordered the memory foam mattress for our pine slatted bed just before christmas hope it will be here soon my backs killing me!

we were told that if you get to hot which I do( the wife says one that she will wake up next to a pile of ashes) the matttress moves away from you so you cool down perhaps then I will wake up floating on air :lol:

For me, one of the most significant things in curing my back pain was a new mattress. It took away 99.9% of the problem. Money well spent. Hope it sorts you out.

Adam

I bought a memory foam mattress from John Lewis at the end of last year. I hadn't gone in looking specifically for memory foam just a new mattress but after trying several I kept coming back to this one because it just seemed more comfortable. Took a bit of getting used to because there is no spring so rolling over in the middle of the night is not quite so easy. But would definitely recommended and John Lewis was about half the price of Tempura. It's currently on an IKEA slatted bed frame waiting for me to make a new frame for it which I will do when I have completed the two single beds that I am currently working on.

Andrew

Thanks very much for the replies.

Majorlarf - can you let me know how you get on with your new mattress when it arrives, much appreciated.

We've found a UK based company that are a family run business and say that there product uses the same materials as the Tempur range, but are significantly cheaper (currently £650 in sale as opposed to £1200). Always worry about this sort of thing as niggle in back of head says you get what you pay for :?

Any further info gratefully received.

Thanks again.

Stephen.

The Restorer":2w9ju7sd said:
Majorlarf - can you let me know how you get on with your new mattress when it arrives, much appreciated.
Will do it arrives on the 18th Jan

The Restorer":2w9ju7sd said:
(significantly cheaper currently £650 in sale as opposed to £1200).
Just out of interest we only paid under £400 with deliverly fom bensons

Some years ago, we tried a Tempur matress for a trial period. We did not like it and sent back. My wife did not like the smell - though admittedly that wore off a lot after a few days. Our main gripe was that once the foam had taken the shape of our bodies, it was difficult to move.

Regards, Peter.

A Tempur matress is something you have to get used to. We've had ours for 18 months and if it ever wears out, I will definitely order a new one (the warranty is 10 years).

My brother in law and his fiancee were house sitting for us and she said she didn't like it because she sleeps on her front and it makes her breasts hurt :shock: (I would NEVER have thought of that).

They also sleep warm. Because the foam is such a good insulator, you don't need as thick a duvet as usual (or you'll wake up in the middle of the night and have to check if the moisture smells of wee 8-[ )

My advise is to try one for a trial period if possible. It's a lot to spend on something that makes you miserable but it's worth it if you get a good nights sleep.

I have no affiliation with Tempur (sadly, I paid more than a months wages) but I do work shifts sitting at a computer. I spend a lot of time in bed at strange times and I need a good sleep.

Hope this helps.
Rich

Hi, I have a memory foam mattress, it also is fully sprung.The foam is about three inches thick.I have to say its the best bed I have ever slept in!.If memory serves it cost about £750 ish

Hi

We also have a Tempur mattress and we would definitely get another one should the need arise. In fact, when we are away we actually miss our mattress now as we no longer like others!

Neither did we notice any smell, nor have a problem moving. If anything it reduces the need for you to move as you are so well supported and so sleep better. The only thing I had to get used to was that it is definitely slightly warmer than a standard mattress, probably due to there being less gaps between you and the mattress

They are also available in soft/med/hard so go to a good shop and try a few - we also got a 30 day trial period but check this applies to the size you order as it did not cover all available sizes when we ordered ours.

The only slight concern we have, and I have not yet checked if this is true with Tempur, is that we have recently been told that the foam dissolves if it gets wet (seems unlikley as they are used in hospitals etc) but may be worth double checking if you like your morning cuppa in bed...

Mike

We don't have a Tempur mattress - my father bought us a brilliant bed by the Pocketspring Bed company as a wedding present - highly recommended. But I do have the largest Tempur neck pillow - fantastic. I feel like an old biddy now when we go away because I always try to take it with me, it is soooo comfortable.

Cheers

Tim

mattress arrived this evening according to leaflet it will take a couple of weeks to get used to it but will post tomorrow on how my first nights sleep was

tim":3h5ghn4l said:
We don't have a Tempur mattress - my father bought us a brilliant bed by the Pocketspring Bed company as a wedding present - highly recommended. But I do have the largest Tempur neck pillow - fantastic. I feel like an old biddy now when we go away because I always try to take it with me, it is soooo comfortable.

Cheers

Tim

So it's not just me then!!! :D

I don't half get some funny looks walking into hotels carrying a pillow. However, not as funny as the ones I get walking out carrying it!!!

Taffy

Back