Melhuish Exonian Work Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toolemera":1h5virw1 said:
Don't forget to add in shipping, handling and VAT

But carriage is free for orders over ten shillings!

I'd like the special version for foreign parts - even if it is £2 extra. Seriously though, do you have any idea how many of these would have been sold? I can see that it was aimed at the gentleman amateur, but it does look a hugely inconvenient design.

My guess is, just like the Hammacher Schlemmer monsters, very very few were ever sold. Those that were sold most likely sat in some gents parlor looking pretty while the tradesman slogged away in the shed.

If anyone can turn one up and get a photo, I'll add it to what will shortly be the Tool Chest section of my website. For now, there'll just be the scans. I've never seen one of these turn up in an auction catalog this side of the Atlantic

Toolemera":wn8aewjt said:
If anyone can turn one up and get a photo, I'll add it to what will shortly be the Tool Chest section of my website. For now, there'll just be the scans. I've never seen one of these turn up in an auction catalog this side of the Atlantic

Gary,

I guess you know about this one, but I'll post it here in case, and for anyone else who has not found it -

44-728.jpg

- sold by David Stanley Auctions in 2004 for £1900.

There's one in the Tony Murland 2005 auction catalogue too - dunno what it fetched. Or who fetched it. 'Course, none of these auction folks think how handy it'd be to provide a drawing with dimensions or anything like that. Useless lot. #-o :lol:

Alf":i8vncrls said:
There's one in the Tony Murland 2005 auction catalogue too - dunno what it fetched. Or who fetched it. 'Course, none of these auction folks think how handy it'd be to provide a drawing with dimensions or anything like that. Useless lot. #-o :lol:

Alf - Gary's scans of the 1899 catalogue confirm the dimensions as

Length 3' 8" Width 1' 9" Height 3' 3"

Now you know that, there's nothing stopping you making one - unless you need a few more tools to fill it up! :wink: :wink:

So they do exist! I'll see if I can get photos from the auction houses for use on the site. Have to be legitimate you know. I still think it looks like it was used as a clothes press.

Back