Melamine chipboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I may have made a slight faux pas. I ordered some melamine chipboard from my local builders merchants and I see that the edges aren't laminated. Is that normal or did I get the wrong stuff?

I was going to either cut using the Festool TS55 or rout the edges clean and then use the iron-on stuff. Or is there a better way? Is there a 'recommended' source of stick-on stuff?

Many thanks

Roger

That's normal, Roger - only those pre-sized "Contiboard" sheets from the sheds (Focus, B & Q) come already edged.

You're right to clean up the edges - I'd use a router and a good-quality straight cutter. I hate that iron-on stuff, but there's no alternative sometimes. Have you got a kitchen fitter locally - he may be a good source of the better stuff.

Ray.

As Ray says the 8x4 sheets come unedged, I get a good finish off the table saw so your Festool should do the job.

As for the edging, don't waste your money on small packs from the sheds, go to a panel supplier and buy a 50m roll for about £8.00.

Jason

Roger

Some trade suppliers such as Hills Panel Products (Sheffield, Oldham) offer what they call "pre-band(ed)" which is basically 15 or 18mm MFC (melamine-faced chipboard, the trade term) in strips 6/9/12/18/24in wide x 8 feet long (convert to metric as 150/225/300/450/600 mm) in a range of colours. When buying MFC ask for one of the better quality boards such as Egger, Hornitex, Sonae, Caber(decor), Finsa or Kronospan and get a matching edging tape from the board supplier (even B&Q stock it) - not all tapes are a good colour/texture match (BTW, Egger MFC is probably the best of the bunch IMO) - Conti is cr.... not the best quality :lol: . Like a lot of people in the trade I buy-in "jumbo" sheets (2.6 x 2.0 metres!) when I need MFC and edge band it in house - not too keen on doing jobs for people turning up at the door as it can be a royal PIA either setting up for someone elses tape or banding poorer quality materials - if it goes wrong I get the blame, see :oops: . The tool to use for trimming edging it is a Stanley window scraper - one of the cheapo yellow ones - just make sure that you point the blade inwards to the material at an angle.

The only way to guarantee a good chip free edge is to use a panel saw with a scoring blade :? , but failing that rough slightly oversize (2 or 3mm) and use a router with a NEW carbide cutter to finish off. Even then you may still get a few chips - so the worst side goes to the inside/bottom/non-visible side :wink:. If you have one, a disposable tip cutter is the absolute best for this and is what the kitchen boys use for jointing worktops.

*** I've just checked - there's an Arnold Laver in Kidderminster - good trade supplier but sells to DIY

Scrit

- who's now scurrying off to his bunker before getting lynched for giving away trade secrets!

I've had good results using an ordinary hand plane (my old Handyman with a sharp blade) to clean up sawn edges on contiboard, before ironing on the edging. Even good saws tend to have micro-chipping of the melamine that picks up dirt in the long run. Worth a try anyway on some scrap.
At least the iron-on edging allows you to iron-off any mistakes!
I won't mention rubbing-in vinyl emulsion over dodgy edge joins :oops:

Back