Mekkemikkel's new workshop WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mekkemikkel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! :eek:ccasion5:

I'm a newbie on UKW, and after some months just surfing around – stealing others great ideas, I thought I would start posting a WIP about the design and building process of my new workshop.

I've been using the shop for about a year already for some projects for our new house, but now I'm really looking forward spending some of my time to get the shop organised!

I know I should not embarres myself showing you this, but here is a shot of the miserable state of my shop at the moment: :oops:

DSC00525.JPG

I'm insulating and finishing the walls, and getting ready to start on the first real project for the shop; a solid workbench along the new white wall with the windows.

Inspired by my fellow English-Norwegian-English :ho2 woodworker, Mark, and his Multi-function workbench (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35067), my plan is to use the same principles for the construction, with 2x4 and plywood for the legs/cupboards, two layers of 19mm MDF for the top, and aprons in "real" wood, maybe birch.

I'm also planning to include some piping for dust collection under the bench.

Here is a drawing and a quick SketchUp, illustrating my bench-project.

Arbeidsbenk%20vindusvegg.jpg

Verksted%20med%20innredning%202.jpg

Verksted%20med%20innredning.jpg

Any comments will be appreciated!! :D

Hi Mekkemikkel and welcome! That's a nice space you've got there - it should be a great shop once you've got that bench built (and maybe tidied up a little :shock: :wink: )

Will be looking forward to the WIP walkthrough of the build :D

That looks like it will be a nice place to work :). I envy you being able to have the extractor downstairs out of the way as well!

Boz

That will convert to a very nice workshop i'm sure, Mekkemikkel!

Your solution with the dustextraction is very nice. I will remember that one!

Hi,

The runs of MDF worktop seem quite long and wide. The bench design is pretty standard but to prevent the MDF from sagging in the middle you might consider putting is a spine or two along the top to hold up the MDF....that is if you had'nt already thought of it.

regards
Alan

Hi and welcome. That's not a workshop it's a factory. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Only joking. Looks like it will be a nice set up. All the best.

Thanks for all the response so far!

Ste_5150:
Tidied up? Don't understand... I'm a foreign! :roll: :wink:

Boz62:
The shop is over our two-car garage, so that's why I'm able to steal a small corner for the extractor down there. I'm really looking forward to getting it out of the way upstairs! Just have to get the piping in place.

Devonwoody:
The shop entrance is upstairs, so it's no problem to get stuff in and out.

Here are some photos to show the surroundings:

The shop entrance.
The door is made of MR-MDF, and I'm wondering how long it can withstand the weather. It's ok so far, entering its second winter season.

DSC_9993.JPG

Here is the pathway between the two floors.

DSC_9991.JPG

And at last the driveway to the garage.

DSC_9992.JPG

Beech1948:
The overall dimensions of the bench are 800x6500mm, and the cupboards: 600mm deep, so I will have some room for my long legs, while sitting down.
I have planned support in the back and front of the cupboards, and an additional behind the apron. Maybe I should add a spline centered over the cupboards too? :-k

Here is how I'm planning the layout of the shop with all the tools - in my dreams! Have I forgotten something important, and does the layout look sensible?

Verkstedinnredning%20Versjon%203.0%20engelsk.jpg

And to end the story for today; some photos of our view:

DSC_9996.JPG

Utsikt%20uv%C3%A6r.jpg

DSC_8521.JPG

That is a stunningly beautiful place to live, does everyone in Norway live like that?

Aidan

TheTiddles":3j5fv1f5 said:
That is a stunningly beautiful place to live, does everyone in Norway live like that?

Aidan

You just have to come over and see for your self! :D

No pining for the fjords here, since we are actually almost living IN them...
Even we Norwegians love the Python! :lol:

I'm actually rather pinin' for a bench at the moment!
Today I was hoping to start building the bench, but spent all day tidying the place!

DSC_9998.JPG

At least I now can see the wobbly thing that's been acting as my workbench for about a year!
Just have to spend a bit more time shoveling the floor, and then maybe it will be possible to walk normally in there again!

DSC_9999.JPG

I think you've managed to create a lot of potential into your workshop the way you've made it!

Looking forward to the bench building WIP now 8)

Fantastic view too!

Henning":2vc0erzm said:
I think you've managed to create a lot of potential into your workshop the way you've made it!

Yes I hope so! As everybody else I'm looking for the most efficient use of the space.

Anybody got suggestions about my dream-tool-layout?

Verkstedinnredning%20Versjon%203.0%20engelsk.jpg

Nice looking working workshop with stunning views. I'd be tempted to spend all by time looking out of the windows.
The pictures of the fjords reminds me of my honeymoon spent at Hardangar
many years ago.

The workshop layout will evolve as you start to use it but looks good to me.

Andy

I agree with Andy, the layout will evolve, and we all have preferred ways of working and are all different. My only thought would be to not fit the long workbench between the side walls. I like to have the end of a bench "accessible" so I can hang things over it or work from the end. But you do have other working surfaces (oooh, luxury), so that may not be such an issue here?

I think I'd end up just staring at the view as well :).

Boz

Is the planer and the thicknesser the same height, then?

If not, maybe some way to move that would be nice as well?

Back