Medite Tricoya MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droogs

Not the Sharpest Moderator in the box
Reaction score
I have only recently found out about this stuff and have a few upcoming projects I was thinking of using this stuff on instead of MRMDF. Has anyone any experience of using it?

What is it you are making?

Tricoya is very expensive compared to MR-MDF and mainly used for external work.

It's a lot heavier than reuglar MDF and dulls cutters quickly, even carbide tipped.

It's main benefit is its weather durability, I believe it has a 50 year guarantee for external use.

As a test we made a cabinet with it and left it in our yard un-finished, in 6 years its seen all kinds of weather from baking sun to snow and ice.
Apart from a healthy coating of green mould the Tricoya underneath remains intact.
Seems to be living up to its claims so far.

If its an internal project MR-MDF may be a better solution.

I use it externally for door panels etc, it's good stuff, does exactly what it is supposed to do but as said expensive!

I have a ye olde shoppe type sign to make, It will have a marquetry picture and cold-cast metal resin inlay. Then given a resin topcoat

I've recently used some as exterior rain cladding, finished with Bedec MSP (that MikeG raves about). Although it is eyewateringly expensive for what looks like a sheet of MDF, I have high hopes it will be just as good as the alternatives in my situation (lead sheet or hanging clay tiles).
It's early days but so far I have no regrets. Cheers W2S

PS I don't remember checking, but I used ss fixings. I assume the compatibility rules are the same as for Accoya - PU glue and ss fixings.

I don't know anything about cold cast metal resin inlay but as Woody2Shoes said any metal in contact with the Tricoya should be corrosion resistant like stainless steel or brass.

Latest posts

Back