Media unit (Fitted)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a start on a media unit today. It is being built from 25mm MRMDF that is laminated into 50mm thick sections. (Pretty heavy I can tell you!) :shock: The finish will be a high gloss white.
I got all of the pieces cut to rough dimensions and laminated.
DSCN2994.jpg

By late afternoon They were dry enough to mark out the sections for biscuits.
DSCN2993.jpg

I won't get much done tomorrow as I am on another job. This will be a nice tester for my brand new shiny Elu biscuit jointer I won on the Bay. :D

You will not be able to move it,

just watch out it will not get to heavy for haning on the wall, i think you need some back legs to stand it on the floor

this is getting to heavy.

This will sit on a plinth now as the customer has come around to my way of thinking. :lol: It will all be assembled on site so I can transport it. I have used the solid MDF after being recommended this for the best acoustics. (Apparently the denser the better for this.) Luckily the customers floor is solid. :lol:

Today I have been back in my own shop working on the media unit. I got most of the pieces edged and after a plethora of biscuit joints had a dry fit.
DSCN2999.jpg

I then started on edging the long lengths and while they were in glue up I made up the plinth.
DSCN3000.jpg

I managed to move the parts around on my own but will certainly need help once it comes to the finish as it will be a high gloss white. :roll:

I have spent most of the day in the workshop spraying the unit today. I have now got it all painted. Although I had to spray the top and bottom in the shop rather than the spray booth.
DSCN3001.jpg

DSCN3003.jpg

They were a bit on the heavy side to carry into the booth and just my luck there was no one around to give me a hand. :roll:
I did manage to paint the smaller parts in there though.
DSCN3004.jpg

Yes, it does look a bit cloudy in there as I had just finished spraying and the fan isn't man enough, must get a better one. another thing to put on the TUIT list. :roll:

Hey Mailee

The unit looks good,well done for hauling it around yourself!! :D

What did you use to edge the pieces and how did you do it?

Thanks Ed. I will have an assistant to install it I am happy to say. It is edged with 6mm MRMDF using PVA and the clamps you can just see in the first photo.

I spent today polishing up the unit and I left the two shelves in a glue up.
DSCN3007.jpg

I will have to get some bubble wrap next to make sure it doesn't get damaged in transit. :roll:

Looking good and heavy Alan . Just a word of warning about bubble wrap it can eat the pattern into fresh paint quite easily as I've found out to my cost before as some kitchen doors had a nice dotty pattern all over them where the paint ha reacted with the plastic.

Cheers

Jon

Whoa! glad you told me about that Jon. Last thing I want is a pattern all over it. Looks like I will have to use some other form of packing for it. :shock: I think I have a few old blankets I could use instead.

This morning I got the unit fitted. I am happy to say it went in with very little 'adjustment'. :D It was good fun trying to align all the biscuits and get the clamps on before the glue dried. :roll: After a couple of hours it was in place and my customer was very happy with it indeed. :D
DSCN3010.jpg

I have arranged to return to take some photos of it fully furnished later next week. :D

Thanks guys. Rod, the screen is 60". I shall be returning for some more shots once it's filled Rob so I will post them.

Back