• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Media unit (Fitted)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a start on a media unit today. It is being built from 25mm MRMDF that is laminated into 50mm thick sections. (Pretty heavy I can tell you!) :shock: The finish will be a high gloss white.
I got all of the pieces cut to rough dimensions and laminated.

By late afternoon They were dry enough to mark out the sections for biscuits.

I won't get much done tomorrow as I am on another job. This will be a nice tester for my brand new shiny Elu biscuit jointer I won on the Bay. :D

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
You will not be able to move it,

just watch out it will not get to heavy for haning on the wall, i think you need some back legs to stand it on the floor

this is getting to heavy.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
This will sit on a plinth now as the customer has come around to my way of thinking. :lol: It will all be assembled on site so I can transport it. I have used the solid MDF after being recommended this for the best acoustics. (Apparently the denser the better for this.) Luckily the customers floor is solid. :lol:

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I have been back in my own shop working on the media unit. I got most of the pieces edged and after a plethora of biscuit joints had a dry fit.

I then started on edging the long lengths and while they were in glue up I made up the plinth.

I managed to move the parts around on my own but will certainly need help once it comes to the finish as it will be a high gloss white. :roll:

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have spent most of the day in the workshop spraying the unit today. I have now got it all painted. Although I had to spray the top and bottom in the shop rather than the spray booth.

They were a bit on the heavy side to carry into the booth and just my luck there was no one around to give me a hand. :roll:
I did manage to paint the smaller parts in there though.

Yes, it does look a bit cloudy in there as I had just finished spraying and the fan isn't man enough, must get a better one. another thing to put on the TUIT list. :roll:

Ed H

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Mailee

The unit looks good,well done for hauling it around yourself!! :D

What did you use to edge the pieces and how did you do it?

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ed. I will have an assistant to install it I am happy to say. It is edged with 6mm MRMDF using PVA and the clamps you can just see in the first photo.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I spent today polishing up the unit and I left the two shelves in a glue up.

I will have to get some bubble wrap next to make sure it doesn't get damaged in transit. :roll:

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking good and heavy Alan . Just a word of warning about bubble wrap it can eat the pattern into fresh paint quite easily as I've found out to my cost before as some kitchen doors had a nice dotty pattern all over them where the paint ha reacted with the plastic.

Cheers

Jon

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Whoa! glad you told me about that Jon. Last thing I want is a pattern all over it. Looks like I will have to use some other form of packing for it. :shock: I think I have a few old blankets I could use instead.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
This site is a mine of information. That bit will get stored away for future reference.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
This morning I got the unit fitted. I am happy to say it went in with very little 'adjustment'. :D It was good fun trying to align all the biscuits and get the clamps on before the glue dried. :roll: After a couple of hours it was in place and my customer was very happy with it indeed. :D

I have arranged to return to take some photos of it fully furnished later next week. :D

MickCheese

Established Member
Reaction score
Very well done.

I often think that a job must be well done if the result looks like it's always been there, and that looks just that.

Mick

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks very good indeed Alan...be interesting to see what gear he puts in it - Rob

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Rod, the screen is 60". I shall be returning for some more shots once it's filled Rob so I will post them.