Meddings pillar drill issues...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dokkodo

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week my floor standing meddings M2 rather suddenly (after cutting quite a few 100mm holes to be fair) developed a lot of play in the spindle, about a 1/5th of a turn. In a bid to find the problem i have wrestled all the parts from the front belt wheel downwards out and apart, and found a dodgy bearing, which im going to replace but that wasn't the cause, and I cant figure out what was.

It always had a little bit of play in the spindle, never had another so i wasnt sure if this was normal. It is to do with the relationship between the fluted shaft in the spindle and its fluted housing. The housing is solid in its casing, that bearing is ok, there is maybe a mm of up/down play. as far as i can see, the only way for things to be snugger is for the fluted shaft to sit higher in the fluted housing as they are also both tapered (i think, doubting now that im home). Im hoping that just putting it back together again might fix whatever the problem was but if anyone has any ideas theyd be welcome.

also finding the right bearing size seems like it might be tricky, 25.4x57.1x16... going to ring around tomorrow but nothing comes up with usual searches...

Attachments

• IMG_5317.JPG
    IMG_5317.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
Dokkodo":2s28yblu said:
also finding the right bearing size seems like it might be tricky, 25.4x57.1x16... going to ring around tomorrow but nothing comes up with usual searches...

Because you're using the wrong measuring standard!

1" x 2 1/4" x 5/8" LJ1 type bearing.

Old kit, old measurements :lol: Same goes with all the nuts and bolts, you'll be wanting to look for BSW, BSF, and BA, not metric threads.

:oops: (hammer) Yeah there we go... easy peasy to find the bearing.

any ideas on the wiggle still welcome...

Back