Meddings Nut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I am trying to source a nut for the stop gauge on my ancient Meddings pillar drill.

It's roughly 1/2" but I don't have an Imperial thread gauge - does anybody know what they are?

Also there is a Company in the UK that sells Imperial and US stuff - I used to have in bookmarked, but lost it last year when my hard drive crashed?

Rod

Harbo":20ovf6lh said:
I am trying to source a nut for the stop gauge on my ancient Meddings pillar drill.

It's roughly 1/2" but I don't have an Imperial thread gauge - does anybody know what they are?

Also there is a Company in the UK that sells Imperial and US stuff - I used to have in bookmarked, but lost it last year when my hard drive crashed?

Rod

I'm assuming you mean a 1/2" OD thread.

I would imagine it's BSW, with an outside chance of BSF.

In which case, the thread pitches would be 12 and 16 TPI respectively.

BugBear

Thanks BB, a friend has just had a look and reckons they are BSF and there are 16TPI.

Have just found Namrick Ltd on the web - hoping they well sell small quantities?

Rod

Harbo":tgd07n1x said:
Thanks BB, a friend has just had a look and reckons they are BSF and there are 16TPI.

Have just found Namrick Ltd on the web - hoping they well sell small quantities?

Rod

Both 12 and 16 TPI are fairly easy to check with an old ruler - they often have 12th and 16ths markings, for at least an inch.

wp18e6764d.jpg

When doing this I find a scribe (or similar pointy object) and magnification helpful.

I eventually got a thread gauge ;-)

BugBear

Yes BB I used a 1/16" ruler - what threw me a bit was that the Meddings scale is in metric.
It's pretty ancient - I bought it S/H about 30yrs ago from a school, but I suppose that is about right for metrication?

Rod

Meddings have a web site with contact details maybe they could help you.
They seem to be one of the last UK companies involved in this market and may well have still have details of their past porducts and may well be happy to help you.

When I rang Meddings about my DP, the gentleman who answered the phone was able to tell me, there and then, when the machine was made, from the serial number. No "We'll pass it on" or "We'll ring you back". It was "One moment sir - that machine was made in 1963." So she is now called Lulu!
S

I had a look at their website and could not find any support pages - only new stuff so did not take it any further.
However following BB's help I've taken a gamble and ordered a couple of 1/2" BSF nuts.
If they prove to be wrong I will certainly try Meddings.

And thanks for the offer Bob.

Rod

My nuts duly arrived this morning 2 No. 1/2" BSF Half Nuts they cost 66p each - twice as expensive as Full Nuts. :)

I did phone Meddings who could not tell me the size, only that my drill was made prior to 1979 - ( and it's still going well!!).

Rod

Bargain! Ask Eric the Viking how much an M6 square-headed bolt is for his Kity planer knife-block.

I'll tell you - over £11 each +VAT + P&P

S

Harbo":2d056fjq said:
My nuts duly arrived this morning 2 No. 1/2" BSF Half Nuts they cost 66p each - twice as expensive as Full Nuts. :)

But did they fit?

BugBear (feeling partially responsible)

My secret is out!

I probably shouldn't have insisted on the gold plating - you can't really see it at 36000RPM anyway, but it does brighten up the workshop while the machine is being worked-on ;-).

Seriously, per another thread, I'll be off down to my local nut+bolt factor sometime soon to see if I can source short, hardened machine screws instead. Ordinary hexagonal heads would be easier to turn, although I risk unbalancing the cutter block if they're not identical in weight.

Well it was 2x 66p plus £3 postage!
One is a locking nut.
I did buy some in sizes either side just in case to cover the postage!

Rod

Back