mechanics tool chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Established Member
Reaction score
Not woodwork but still in the shop.

I am looking for a new roll cab, as I have out grown the Halfords Industrial one. Snap On and Mac are going for mega bucks on the bay and 3k plus for a new one is a bit steep. Anyone have any ideas?
I have been into Machine Mart and was disappointed with the Clarke HD ones. Sealey AP are next on the list but not seen any yet.

I have got to say that I am very pleased with the Clarke HD one I got from Machine Mart a couple of years ago - It fits perfectly under the cast table of table saw so when not needed is neatly tucked out of the way.

DSCF2591.jpg

I use it for my router cutters, spindle tooling etc and cannot fault it for the price - I believe I paid about £165 ish for it on one of their VAT free events.

What are the beta cabs like awkwood?
The Clarke box drawers were not smooth to open at all and that was with then empty. Can only guess what they'd be like full of sockets.

Very smooth ball bearing runners on the drawers, locks are good quality. im pleased but ive never owned snap on to compare it with
But if its good enough for The Ferrari F1 team they must be ok!!!

Gary
I've had a Beta C22 top box for about 10 years, underwhelmed by flaking paint and an uncooperative lock.
I prefer the German spanner brands who sell simple quality tools without the marketing hype
Matt

Hi Gary
I've found Gedore stuff very good. Other good brands are Stahlwille, Hazet and Elora - price wise they come between the cheaper imports and the American brands ( most German companies tend to separate their cheaper imports under a different brand name - Gedore have Carolus )
Lista and Bott specialize in storage systems
Some of my best storage drawers are wooden, they came from schools, museums etc
Matt

In my opnion having been in or selling to the motor trade for over 40 years some of the lesser known names are far better quality than the hyped up names, same for wood working tools I think.

powertools":2e8a5ffo said:
In my opnion having been in or selling to the motor trade for over 40 years some of the lesser known names are far better quality than the hyped up names, same for wood working tools I think.

So what do you recommend then?

I have been looking at the US Pro ones on eBay.

gary have you seen the orange ones made by bahco,the repair fitters at work have had various ones supplied to them,sealed , clark heavy duty senator etc and they all over load them and have ended up as scrap, but they got a bahco one as a trial.and know have all been supplied with them, very well made and strong .hth dave

ps tried to upload a link but either doing it wrong or file too large, but just google for bahco

Tried to answer this in detail but my log in seemed to time out.
The short answer is the best quality tool box at the best price is CSPS all stainless steel from Costco.
I sell tools for a living to the Motor Trade so I have seen and sold them all

Halfords professional are good and should have good sales on soon - if not now,

selly":2gt50ua5 said:
Halfords professional are good and should have good sales on soon - if not now,

Thanks for that, I see you've read my first post. I was looking for an upgrade.

No I didn't give a toss about your first post

I was generally informing people on the thread asking about tools/ spanners that halfords gear isn't bad.

theartfulbodger":c3rcjgn5 said:
There's a good sale on at the moment at Halfords :wink: :wink:

Halfrauds are like a furniture shop, they always have a sale on.

Back