Meaty Lippings cause warping?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mruther

Reaction score
I'm intending to make a bookcase out of oak-veneered MDF and solid Oak (Am white).

One reads about solid wood shrinking/expanding along the grain, but MDF being quite stable. If I glue a meaty solid-oak lipping to an MDF shelf, is there a danger of the two fighting each other, causing warping, bowing whatever?

The reason for using meaty lippings is to add strength to the MDF, and to look good.

Thanks IA,

Matthew R

Attachments

• ukw_18feb11.jpg
    ukw_18feb11.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 147
Not strictly true, wood does expand and contract in the length, just not very much (and vastly less than in the width) so the conclusions about the lipping are correct - no problem.

There shouldn't be a problem, I finished a piece last year with 40mm lippings onto mdf and it's been fine, no issues whatsoever with shrinkage and movement - Rob

Instead of a rebate and a rebate i would tongue the MDF and groove the lipping . This way you get a great location for gluing up
and you can determin how much is left proud for cleaning off ! Much better job altogether .

I'd go for a loose tongue or biscuits personally, saves taking away material just for a joint

Aidan

Back