Measuring from an inside miter edge.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phlabbergast

Reaction score
Looking for a good time saving tip on casing and crown miters. Let's say I'm cutting some casing for over a large door. I cut the left miter and then have to hang the tab of my tape on the very inside edge of the miter to get my righthand miter mark. The tab almost always slips off and won't stick until the 2nd or 3rd try. Even then, the tab is so far away that I can't be sure I'm marking the righthand miter without being off by an 8th or so. Anyone got a better / quicker way of doing this?

Cheers!

Never needed to do this myself but how about using a sliding type ruler, extend the ruler or a substitute stick to obtain the distance.

Cut the head first then measure from the floor up for the sides .
Another trick is to put the tape on 100mm starting point and track the tape across the frame so it doesn't move .

This is the same problem as when cutting picture frames to fit an existing mount.

1 Get a copy of GWW #169. There is a calibratable fence in there for exactly this kind of problem.

2 If the mitres are exactly 45deg, you can measure fromt the outside pont rather than the inside corner, by adding on twice the width of your stock. This is essentially how the fence above works.

If you are cutting compound mitres, I guess you will have to adjust the scale somehow, it probably requires a bit of maths, but the princile will be exactly the same.

HTH
Steve

Chris,

That is a brilliant tool! Very portable and easy to store, too.

Steve,

I'll try that for 45 degree angles. Sounds quick and easy.

Thanks to you guys!

Back