Measuring Basics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably the most basic of questions I've asked out of a long series of silly person requests for help. Anyway, I am currently engaged in fitting some secondary double glazing to the old windows in my house. I am using bar gauges to measure the internal dimension of the frames and then a beam compass to mark out the templates. The longest measurement is about 1.8m.
The question is, what kind of scale should I be using to take sizes from the bar gauge and to set the beam compass. The measuring and marking out are taking place in different locations so I can't use the bar gauge directly for the marking out. I've been using a tape measure but find this very fiddly and potentially inaccurate and steel rules don't seem to come longer than 1m.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Simon

If you've got a major project on, buy a steel tape measure, pull it all-the-way-out, and fix
it to a strip of wood (tacks, glue, sealant, whatever's convenient).

Errors in the tape won't matter because you will (obviously...) use the same measure
at both sites.

BugBear

Are you doing both the measuring and marking out? If you are, why not make a story board? Transfer the marks from the bar gauge to a piece of plywood about 2m long and 200mm wide. You probably have a suitable scrap at hand. Then take that to the shop and lift the marks off with the beam compass. Paint it white if you wish so make the marks easier to see. Or put the marks on masking tape which can be easily removed when you're finished with them. Remember to label the marks so you know what they are for when you get to the shop.

I would either use a batten or a strip of ply or mdf and mark out a rod -for the jambs and mullions.

and the same for the vertical

Then label up!

or use a tape measure and write down cumulative measurements.

That wont tell you if the frames are square only a full template will do that! -translucent correx is ideal

Thanks to everyone for their guidance. After reading your thoughts i knocked up a jig to hold a flat blade tape measure I'd forgotten I had with a zero datum for the bar gauge and beam compass. Seems to answer my needs.
thanks again, Simon

Back