MDO? yes or no

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny boy

Established Member
Reaction score
HI,

Can anyone tell me if we can get hold of MDO (medium density overlay) over here? Norm uses it all the time and i have yet to find the stuff. The combination of plywood core with mdf outer faces is just the ticket to build my new router table and various jigs.

cheers,
jonny.

MDO is ply with a resin impregnated paper applied to the surface. It's weather proof and takes paint well, hence very popular for sign writing.
Might find some suppliers here:

http://www.ttf.co.uk/buying/directory/p ... ductid=206

Wouldn't recommend it for router table tops. Laminate, conti board or waxed MDF would be more useful.

Noel

Hello Noel,

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't going to use the MDO for the top surface, just wanted to have a try using it for the carcass if I could get hold of some. I thought it might take the screws much better than MDF. Could use birch ply but a little costly really. Might be good old MDF afterall.

cheers,
jonny.

Jonny,
MDO is available over here.......construction industry use it as well as sign writers.
Its main use is for concrete forming....eg large concrete structures.
because it has a smooth face on it and weatherproof.
most sheet goods suppliers can get it but its normally special order for them but its not too difficult to ask. also worth asking someone who knows what their talking about rather than some of the yard boys.
I used it on the tablesaw station if anyone remembers it.

it comes in at around £30-34 a sheet of 8x 4 18mm thick.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Cheers for the advice, diddn't realise it would be so expensive, I was expecting somewhere around MDF prices but if it's not that common then that's probably why. For them prices I could use birch ply anyway.

cheers,
jonny.

Latest posts

Back