MDF strenght

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paultnl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planing a shoe rack/bench to be made from 25mm MDF. Given that people will sit on it to change shoes, do I need to put a central support on a 70cm span?

I would - every time! Ideally make the seat from real tree wood or ply edged with real wood.

Google for 'sagulator' which might confirm my approach.

Bob

Snap!! even a nice piece of pine would be better than mdf.........or even look for some Agathis window boards.

I put a central verticle, about 100mm wide in mine when i built it, plus a 6mm back. 18mm mdf top, but i also upholstered a bit of plywood. for the seat....Spread the load out a bit as well.

Attachments

• IMAGE_27s3.JPG
    IMAGE_27s3.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAGE_264.jpg
    IMAGE_264.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 56
Thanks for the feedback, that looks like a lovely unit Hitch. I am working with off-cuts cutesy of doctor Bob so material choice is limited. Having looked at sagulator ( a great tool) and considered that loading will be brief and mainly by children, I have decided to risk a 70cm span without support beyond a 1/4 inch back and 1/2 inch edging secured by biscuits.

I will post pics soon.

paultnl":3bgjxc9u said:
... I have decided to risk a 70cm span without support beyond a 1/4 inch back and 1/2 inch edging secured by biscuits.
I find any edging adds a lot of 'anti-sag' strength to MDF - even if it's just glued on - so given the likely loading I think you'll be fine.

Back