Members can turn off viewing Ads!

MDF strenght

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

paultnl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planing a shoe rack/bench to be made from 25mm MDF. Given that people will sit on it to change shoes, do I need to put a central support on a 70cm span?

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
I would - every time! Ideally make the seat from real tree wood or ply edged with real wood.

Google for 'sagulator' which might confirm my approach.

Bob

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Snap!! even a nice piece of pine would be better than mdf.........or even look for some Agathis window boards.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
I put a central verticle, about 100mm wide in mine when i built it, plus a 6mm back. 18mm mdf top, but i also upholstered a bit of plywood. for the seat....Spread the load out a bit as well.

Attachments

paultnl

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, that looks like a lovely unit Hitch. I am working with off-cuts cutesy of doctor Bob so material choice is limited. Having looked at sagulator ( a great tool) and considered that loading will be brief and mainly by children, I have decided to risk a 70cm span without support beyond a 1/4 inch back and 1/2 inch edging secured by biscuits.

I will post pics soon.

petermillard

Established Member
Reaction score
paultnl":3bgjxc9u said:
... I have decided to risk a 70cm span without support beyond a 1/4 inch back and 1/2 inch edging secured by biscuits.
I find any edging adds a lot of 'anti-sag' strength to MDF - even if it's just glued on - so given the likely loading I think you'll be fine.