Mdf sealing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjh

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been asked by a local pub to paint a mural, and I’m covering a brick wall with mdf panels to make a smooth surface to paint on. Arty sites say I need to seal the boards with special (expensive) sealer to stop the acids in the board discolouring the acrylic paint. I will be using gesso on top of the sealer, an artists undercoat to help the acrylic paint take to the board. I’ve been reading decorators use mdf sealers before priming, so do you think I could use a sealer that you guys use?
Thanks

My wife's an artist & art teacher, she paints on boards all the time. I reckon just priming the board with gesso will be fine, no need to do anything more.

I've just made a desk out of MDF and painted everything with the ScrewFix MDF primer first. It's great stuff, covers well and seals the edges. The main desk body was then painted white with Bedec and the top with black Hammerite. No problems with any of that at all.

Mark

If you are being paid well for the mural and it is expected to last, GAC100 - is generally a very good solution for reducing SID ( surface induced discolouration ). It about £30 per litre. However if you are a generally arty person, its very good to have around as it mixes very well with insoluble earth pigments to produce a fantastic tone.

Latest posts

Back