MDF protection from moisture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs6mra

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys & Dolls,

I have an MFT style worktop and I would like to know how I can best protect it from moisture. It would be in a shed that has no heating.
I did a search online and a couple of options I came across are PVA glue (drywall sealer) or Rustins MDF clear sealer.
I would prefer the former if it's a good option as I have a 5L tub of it.
Your suggestions and experiences would be most welcome.

Sorry, no @rs6mra just thin down the polyurethene to get better absorbtion - either foam 'brush'
or roller to keep it 'thin' coats, and minimise run into the holes?

just make sure that whatever you buy recommends cleaning the brushes with white spirit. I am not sure if this is all polyurethane varnish. I had a choice of several varnishes in wilko, but there was only 1 or 2 that were not water based. It is one of the things that I find easier to go and buy off the shelf rather than searching online for the info I want.

just make sure that whatever you buy recommends cleaning the brushes with white spirit. I am not sure if this is all polyurethane varnish. I had a choice of several varnishes in wilko, but there was only 1 or 2 that were not water based. It is one of the things that I find easier to go and buy off the shelf rather than searching online for the info I want.
Good point! Do not choose a water based polyurethane - it will soak in and distort the MDF!

Back