MDF in the bathroom?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a little bit of space either side of a vanity unit in my bathroom. I was thinking of making a free standing small (10" wide) shelving unit to go either side of the cabinet to give myself some much needed storage.

Would MDF be an ok material, I was planning to paint it but would it still swell/get ruined by high moisture environment like a bathroom?

Oscar,

I've made a number of items out of mdf for bathroom use (painted of course) and never had any movement issues.

Exposed to the higher humidity of a bathroom, MR MDF will be fine.

Exposed to the potential splashes etc. Adjacent to a sink, I'd be less certain, it depends how conscientious the users of said bathroom are about not leaving water standing on the surface.

Cheers guys!

Ah we're definitely (we'll certainly me) splashers!

Maybe I better get the MR stuff or put a waterproof top on it.

That melamine faced MDF any good?

use exterior MDF and it will be better against water sitting on it.

Cheers Bob, is exterior MDF and moisture resistant MDF the same stuff? Thought I'd check as it looks like I can easily get that green moisture resitant stuff from Wickes.

In your firm's bathrooms I suppose you'd have a stone finish on top of any cabinet near a sink?

OscarG":2g1xbp31 said:
Cheers Bob, is exterior MDF and moisture resistant MDF the same stuff? Thought I'd check as it looks like I can easily get that green moisture resitant stuff from Wickes.

In your firm's bathrooms I suppose you'd have a stone finish on top of any cabinet near a sink?

No exterior grade and MR grade are different. As a worktop I'd use exterior if the client wanted a MDF top.

Latest posts

Back