mdf in a conservatory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been asked to create a boxed in section at the top of a lean to conservatory where the roof meets the wall. This will have LED lights in it and be where all the cabling for sockets and airiel wire will be. Like a big conduit box. It will run the full length of 10m and be 140mm wide and 165 high. Will normal mdf suffice or should I use moisture resistant stuff.
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Mark

Hi Mark

Depends on the conservatory. Is it PVCu or timber frames, roof of glass or polycarb (and what thickness / multiwall / twinwall etc), watertight? and is it heated.

Many conservatories are very prone to heavy condensation. I've just pulled down one of those and am replacing it with one which will be dry for a customer.

If in doubt use MR grade or ply

Bob

I take the mdf is being painted? To be honest I try to avoid the use of mdf if there is a chance of moisture but that is just me because others will say MR MDF is fine to use in places like bathrooms if painted all round.

If it is painted all round, insde and out, then I think MDF will be ok, but if there is the slightest doubt then I would use the MR stuff, seeing as the difference in cost is not enough to justify taking a chance.

Accidents can happen even to a conservatory, a broken pane of glass and at the wrong time when resident is not on premises and dampness and all sorts of nasty things can happen, so no kind of mdf for me.,

Thanks for the input. I found a seller on ebay selling offcuts of mrmdf 3m by 300mm by 18mm just 10 mins from where I live. So I went along and got 20 lengths for £30. He buys timber leftovers from companys and chops it up to fill dumpy bags and then sells. Whilst haveing a rut around I found some walnut strips, I asked what's happening to them. Firewood :shock:
Mark

Back