MDF Identification, finishing and knob/hinge recomendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pluribus

Reaction score
Hello

I salvaged a large quantity of this reddish MDF from a local high quality furniture maker, but I have no idea what it is. The pictures don't really do it justice, this stuff is very nice - several orders of magnitude better than any MDF I've ever seen at B&Q/Wickes. I was hoping the collective wisdom of this forum could come to my aid! Is there any particular finish I should be using? I will be edge banding, so I dont care what the end grain looks like.

IMG_20220326_114447917.jpg
IMG_20220326_114057426_HDR.jpg

I was also wondering where you recommend buying things like piano hinges, drawer knobs etc? We used to have a local shop that only sold hinges and drawer pulls which was amazing as I could touch and feel everything before buying, but they closed down during the first lockdown. I am making a jewellery chest for my wife for our anniversary, so I would prefer to go to a store so I'm not having to wait on post.

Thank you

Ian

What do you want the finish to look like? I normally paint mdf using an airless sprayer which gives great results but may not be something you can do easily.

I'm not entirely sure at this point. I am inlaying moissanite into the front door of the chest to portray the star map on the night my wife was born, so it would have to be something that doesn't detract from the diamonds. I think the edge banding I have is oak. I don't have anything fancy like a sprayer.

It’ll be a flame retardant or ‘fire rated’ MDF - usually has a pink dye added for easy ID, the same way MR has green. You can get 30 minute and 60 minute vatiants. I’ve only ever painted it with a water-based acrylic, worked well.
HTH P

Thanks Peter, that's very helpful.

Oh, I was in Homebase a few minutes ago and they were selling 1m lengths of piano hinge for 25p. I bought a couple. They didn't have any suitable drawer pulls small enough for a jewellery box though, so any recommendations on that front would be welcomed.

I have a pair of large utility room cupboards (sans dimonte!) that I built a few years ago using regular MDF which I polyurethane varnished and I think the effect is both functional and rather smart,,,its a sort of janatorial brown gloss which might also match my beloveds eyes too,,,but I dont want her to catch me looking at her,,
The MDF doors were painted.
Steve.

Back