MDF GLUE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm soon to start making a dolls house with MDF for my grandaughter and would appreciate a bit of advice before I start buying bits.
Can anybody recommend a good glue for MDF?
Would 3.9 x 40mm MDF screws be suitable for screwing into the end grain (12mm MDF) without splitting etc?

Thanks

Yep, any fast-grab pva will do the job; I’ve used an awful lot,of different brands over the years and can’t honestly say there’s much difference between them. That said I won’t touch everbuild again - I bought some that went off - it really stank - and had to throw the lot away.

The screws are a bit overkill for 12mm MDF, you could get away with shorter, whatever size you use it's best to drill a hole in the end grain same size as the centre shank of the screw so just the threads are just cutting in to the MDF, if not it can bulge and split.

Just like [Real] wood and 'end grain', it is unwise to even think about using screws into any edge of an MDF board. If you do consider it seriously, then take on board Doug71's suggestion of pre-drilling a core hole but also use as long a screw as you can.

Incidentally. it is wrong to think of MDF having 'End Grain' there is some similarity (not a lot!) between the 'Face' of an MDF Board and natural timber but whichever 'Edge' you consider it doesn't have anywhere near the integrity of even the end grain of natural timber.

Super glue and activator "mitre mate" or whatever brand.
It is very good on MDF, I think its because it doesn`t have time to soak in to the super absorbant mdf I found it better than titebond and its fast.
I would also suggest a small brad nailer if you want to use pva type glues.

Ollie

PVA glue is fine (say Titebond original)- reinforce with screws if you wish. 3.9 screws probably overkill. My best guess would be 3.0 x 25mm screws - pre-drilled of course and counter-sunk on the face piece. You could consider using pocket holes - 12mm is typically at the lower limit for these. 6mm dowels is another option. You may wish to consider using assembly squares to keep thing square and straight.

Cheers

Chris

I wouldn't even be attempting to screw into 12mm MDF you're just asking for trouble, it's fine screwing into 18mm and above but 12mm will be a nightmare. Why can't you just glue? Any p.v.a will be fine, cheap ever built stuff will work perfectly

I've been using Evo-Stick 'green' Resin W PVA and seems to work well. Also using biscuits in 18mm MDF but I guess 12mm is too thin to do that.
Have fun!

Greetings, If you haven't purchased your MDF yet, I would suggest going for the 18mm for the main "structure". Price difference not a lot. use pockets screws and glue. Use 12mm or even 6mm for room walls.

I presume you intend counter boring and plugging the screwheads before painting ? An easier option is to invest in the Miller Dowel system. Their mini dowels are only 40 mm long and that only leaves 28 mm to be bored in the end grain with the dedicated drill bit, leaving a neat dowel head exposed. MDF is quite soft in the middle and is not great for inserting screws or machining. For making boxes I now laminate 4 pieces of hardboard which are 2.8 mm thick giving me 11.2 mm or close to 12mm after veneering. The stuff is great to machine leaving crisp edges and a bit heavier than MDF. Doll's houses are very time consuming to make so if it's for Xmas I'd start now 😄

Last edited:
Are you trying to kill yourself and your granddaughter by using MDF. It is banned in the U S A and other countries because of the poisonous fumes in gives off while cutting and also it still gives off fumes and dust in its solid state. Please check on this before you make a dolls house

Are you trying to kill yourself and your granddaughter by using MDF. It is banned in the U S A and other countries because of the poisonous fumes in gives off while cutting and also it still gives off fumes and dust in its solid state. Please check on this before you make a dolls house
I am sure it will be fine especially once painted, the main danger is from the very fine dust and I would hope masks and extraction will be used in the workshop.
I am not sure many have died from the millions of kitchens around with mdf doors .
Not suggesting it is a great thing to use and I think birch ply would be the best for this application but I don`t think it will be the end of the world.

Ollie

.... It is banned in the U S A and other countries......

According to who? It has been regulated in an effort to reduce formaldehyde emission - not a bad thing - but the fact that you can go online and purchase it from any site in the US would suggest that it has not been banned?

What tosh.

🤣🤣🤣 what a load of rubbish 🤣🤣🤣

MDF is not banned in any country in the world, according to the UK HSE.

The issue with dust goes for any wood/material really...

Deleted. The point I was making was already covered adequately. Slainte.

Please don’t repeat this claptrap. MDF hasn’t been banned anywhere; if you have any concerns - or maybe just want to educate yourself - then read the
UK HSE MDF FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions - MDF

Back