MDF draws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently building a alcove cupboard for my extensive collection of IT equipment:

IMAG0170.jpg

I've got the fancy moving shelf for the printer in place as you can see. Below that I'm planning on having three substantial draws of around 500(w) x 600(d) x 200(h) mm. They will be used to hold various computer bits and probably a few books so I've got heavy duty full extension slides.

My next job is to build the actual draws. I have a couple of sheets of 18mm MR-MDF kicking around which I'd quite like to use but I'm a bit stumped as to how to make a strong draw from MDF. Clearly I can't joint it like I would real wood or ply. The best I can think is to butt joint it and re-enforce with screws or dowel. Would that be strong enough or should just go out and buy some ply (if so how thick)? Also, what would you recommend for the base of the draw and how would you fit it? I'm happy to rout out a dado for a draw base but I'm concerned that would weaken the MDF.

As you can see the whole thing is built to double up as an earthquake shelter if necessary :D.

Cheers.

Doms and glue for the sides, front and back. Was thinking some ply in the base - 12mm or so in a 12mm rebate. Perhaps pinned in as well. With it all being mdf\ply - don't see why you couldn't glue it all together.

Perhaps some of our non-hobbyists will step in.

Obviously no dom - then no doms! :mrgreen:

I've got a chest of drawers to do - yes lucky me!

DIbs

Funnily enough doms were my first thought too but I don't think I can justify £650 for three draws.

Actually, thinking about it, I have stacks of draws to make for this house in the coming months so perhaps I can justify it. I really wanted to make most of them using dovetails though. Oooh, a tool buying dilema.

I like the idea of gluing in the base, that would probably make it more than strong enough. My main concern was stopping twisting forces on the corner joints which a glued base would prevent.

I think you should buy a Dom - if you are making stuff for the house, it'll come in handy all over the place.

Don't get me wrong I have a fully loaded Leigh jig for dovetails, but not every piece is for front of house, so why bust a gut?

As a non-dom myself, have you considered pocket hole screws? I made some extra wide drawers a few years back out of MDF and glue plus pocket hole screws worked OK.

John Brown":1ky810jg said:
As a non-dom myself, have you considered pocket hole screws? I made some extra wide drawers a few years back out of MDF and glue plus pocket hole screws worked OK.

I think you are spoiling the moment here, Wobbly needs a Dom. :D :D

Just look at the picture he posted up - he could have easily bought a cheap inkjet, but chose an expensive laser with a NIC! :D

My tool buying mantra has always been if in doubt buy all and then you can always sell one later. Selling anything never happens though?
So i'd say get the Leigh jig for the places where you need fancy dovetails, Kreg K4 Master pocket hole jig for where you can live with pocketholes and a Domino for the rest! :-D

Henning (Who has all three. Sad, i know)

Don't for get the duplexer unit as well dibs ;-). The cupboard will eventually house a couple of servers, switches and a NAS on a shelf above the printer. I'm planning on running power, phone and ethernet into there. I don't think I'll need forced air circulation but that will be an interesting problem if I do.

Pocket hole screws are a good idea but I don't think they are necessary here. There will be a face frame fitted with overlays for the draws so the screws won't be visible if driven in from the outside of the draw (unless I've missed something really obvious)

Before Doms biscuits worked perfectly well and still do, add a bit of glue and you will have strong draw boxes.

A few kregs woll not go amiss and will hold it all together while the gule sets. Any screws driven in from the sides will show when the draw is open and also there is less chance of splitting the MDF edge using kregs.

J

Beware Dib_h, the demon tempter 8)
Said Dick, who gave in to temptation.......but they worked well on my round window project :evil:
Go on w/c...you know you want to :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Regards...Dick :D

Not got a dom myself but I am interested to know if they are as versatile and easy to use as everyone says ?

Hello thecoder,

I haven't had mine for long, but I would say yes, they are easy to use, even in awkward situations. See my workshop build for details.

Regards...Dick.

I'll never be rich if I keep caving in to peer pressure like this. Please add my name to the Festool victim list - just placed an order to a dom 500 and a big box of doms at axi. Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow (just in time for my business partner to take the micky out of my tool buying habit) :).

Well done wc; =D> now how long will 1800 Dominos last you? I think that I will be dead first :shock: :smile:
After you have used it on the first job, you will know why you are a poor man - but a happy one. My round windows went a treat, with the Dom as a joining method, and so did extending the bargeboard on the gable end.

Regards...Dick.

I'm hoping the big box of dominos will last a good while as I've had enough open wallet surgery to last me a few years!

I know right now I'm wondering what I've done but I think as soon as I've finished making the first draw I'm going to be wondering how I ever lived without a domino.

Well done that man!

Slap him on the back and buy him a pint or 2 (as he ain't got enough money to buy one!) :mrgreen:

Seriously - you'll not regret it. Saves a noticeable amount of time.

Dibs

Back