McGregor Screwdriver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blockplane

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just remembered being shown one of these back in the late '70's, but have never come across another.
"Restricted Access" screwdriver, all metal construction, chrome plated, plain cylindrical handle about 5-6" long with a rectangular block at the end, each side of which had a flat blade, at 45 degrees to each other.

Anyone else encountered these?

I have one that I got in a set of Craftsman mechanics tools from Sears. I generally found it useless. It was too big for the spaces in aircraft I needed it for and because there is a pair of blades at each end you can't press on the end with your finger to keep it in the slot. I found a ratcheting box end wrench with a driver tip worked better. If you want a picture I could dig around and post it. Assuming I remember where I last put it. :)

Pete

Forgot to mention, one end had the blades at 45º and the other had one parallel and the opposite side 90º to it.

Thanks Pete, that's the one. Do you know it by the name 'McGregor"? - I couldn't find any reference on the internet. I used to have a little flat, double sided ratchet screwdriver by Stanley which was far better imho.

Like screwdrivers, even if doesn't sound like I'd need this --- any pictures ? (or of the Stanley)?

Blockplane":17kdrvm7 said:
Thanks Pete, that's the one. Do you know it by the name 'McGregor"? - I couldn't find any reference on the internet. I used to have a little flat, double sided ratchet screwdriver by Stanley which was far better imho.

Never heard of an offset screwdriver referred to as a McGregor. Even by the Englishmen I worked with. I've worn that brand of sock though if that's any kind of consolation. :roll:

Pete

IMG_4647.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4647.jpg
    IMG_4647.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4648.jpg
    IMG_4648.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_4649.jpg
    IMG_4649.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4650.jpg
    IMG_4650.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 147
Thanks for photos, the one I was shown was single ended, with all four blades on the square head.

I think they were intended for 'trimming' adjustments, it would be a complete pain to have to drive or a remove a screw completely.

That would make it even harder to use because the blades will make it impossible to get into a corner where offset screwdrivers are needed.
One of those tools that initially seem like a good idea until your stuck in a hole tying to use it.

Pete

Oh yes, in fact I have something similar (MacAllistair perhaps?) - only used it once or twice, not v effective - the ratchet type slightly better.

To turn the subject - other tools that seem a good idea, but - anyone use a drawer-lock chisel, or have one 'just to complete the set'?

Back