MCB Tripping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the builder fit that board in the garage? This type of installation is often just for a simple light and a power socket arrangement. How is the cable run, catenary or buried? Hopefully not a T&E as then you only have a 1.5mm CPC and over 20 metres will give a higher impedance which could be why the 16 amp.

I know.....I was an industrial sparks for years......it was unusual if a sentence was constructed without some form of expletive....
Good memories of working in many companies with some very colourful characters and it was what made the workplace so much fun and stress free unlike today where people are shieeete scared to speak in case they upset someone or say something not PC, I fully support being completely PIC.

Good memories of working in many companies with some very colourful characters and it was what made the workplace so much fun and stress free unlike today where people are shieeete scared to speak in case they upset someone or say something not PC, I fully support being completely PIC.
Yes.......long gone are the days when you could megger your apprentice.........and still have a job after tea.....lol

Did the builder fit that board in the garage? This type of installation is often just for a simple light and a power socket arrangement. How is the cable run, catenary or buried? Hopefully not a T&E as then you only have a 1.5mm CPC and over 20 metres will give a higher impedance which could be why the 16 amp.
Yes, the builder fitted a standard two position board plus isolator in the garage. The cable is buried armoured T&E.

I fitted more sockets in the garage so I have sockets in each corner (for car maintenance like wander lamps/polishers and drill battery chargers etc ) and I also fitted more lights. All this was leading to too many cables for the small CU, so I have replaced the CU for one with more positions.

Yes, the builder fitted a standard two position board plus isolator in the garage. The cable is buried armoured T&E.

I fitted more sockets in the garage so I have sockets in each corner (for car maintenance like wander lamps/polishers and drill battery chargers etc ) and I also fitted more lights. All this was leading to too many cables for the small CU, so I have replaced the CU for one with more positions.
I'm not sure why it led to more cables unless you have a radial system with one cable feeding one socket for example? A ring circuit in a workshop would reduce the cables to two. A radial feed with one cable per circuit e.g. 13A sockets, could even be reduced one cable. This obviously depends on the loading.

“Armoured T&E” is a bit of a mix in terms.
T&E is the colloquial term used for pvc/pvc oval shaped cable with 2 live conductors and an un-insulated circuit protective conductor.
SWA is the term used for a different cable type which has a polymer sheath, a layer of galvanised steel wires (armour), a layer of polymer bedding, then the polymer insulation over the copper conductors.
The cable type, and and the way it is installed (installation method), with a few other factors determines the current carrying capacity.
Not all cable types are suitable for all installation methods.

All this was leading to too many cables for the small CU, so I have replaced the CU for one with more positions.
You say the builder fitted this, who undertook the final testing and completed the installation certificate?

You cannot just fit a larger dizzy board without increasing the size of the supply cable and changing a distribution board definately requires an electrical installation certificate that details the test results and states that the work carried out complies with BS 7671 and does not impact on the safety of the existing installation, Regulation 641.5.

Thats confusing, we already have control systems that we design to enable the selection of process or operation, so amongst us we use discrimination because it prevents ambiguity or any confusion and do the regs need to become pc.
Blame the IEC, it’s their term! 🤣

Back