MBM tersa block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Morris

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’ve recently bought a planer thicknesser with a tersa block. It turns out the previous owner wasn’t to precious with it and while cleaning the ‘resin! From the block it dawned on me the deposits are actually glue, obviously couldn’t wait for it to dry before machining!
So here lies my issue, I would like to removed the centrifugal wedges and bolt on components to give a good clean and check everything seats correctly free from unwanted deposits, however my manual clearly says do not remove the Allen bolts holding the section the blades seats on! Is this critical information or can those parts be removed, cleaned, inspected and replaced without causing major problems?
I may be being a bit over cautious but would rather be safe!

thanks

Is the block working?
If it is I'd be tempted to just clean it best I could, maybe with a slovent dip of some sort to soften the glue up.

It will have been dynamically balanced, taking it apart will potentially disturb the balance and cause vibration. This will not only affect the quality of the cut, but also reduce the end bearing life.
If you do decide to liberate its guts, mark everything so everything goes back exactly where it came from, that included the bolts.

Is the block working?
If it is I'd be tempted to just clean it best I could, maybe with a slovent dip of some sort to soften the glue up.
Thanks for the reply.
To be honest all appears ok, I’m currently moving to a new workshop which will have 3 phase so have bought this in preparation. I’ve seen this working but whether it needs some fine tuning is yet to be established. The block has cleaned up with a gentle scrape and a scotchbright rub. I was just wanting to be thorough as I want to get the best from it.
I can’t see the issue with removing to clean and reassemble but there may be unseen problems I’m not yet familiar with.

It will have been dynamically balanced, taking it apart will potentially disturb the balance and cause vibration. This will not only affect the quality of the cut, but also reduce the end bearing life.
If you do decide to liberate its guts, mark everything so everything goes back exactly where it came from, that included the bolts.
This was my main concern. Though I imagine a nasty build up of resin, glue residue and dust would probably upset the balance more that removing cleaning and replacing! 😂

I’m just thinking about mine without being able to see it, I’m fairly sure that the blades are held in such a way that any glue etc can’t have got behind them much, if at all, and a scrape and a rub as you have done should sort it.
I have been running mine for 10 years now completely trouble-free so best of luck with your one.
I remember the first time I turned it on after changing the blades, I was quite anxious that they might fly all over the place and stood well back – it’s a pretty fool proof system. Ian

I’m just thinking about mine without being able to see it, I’m fairly sure that the blades are held in such a way that any glue etc can’t have got behind them much, if at all, and a scrape and a rub as you have done should sort it.
I have been running mine for 10 years now completely trouble-free so best of luck with your one.
I remember the first time I turned it on after changing the blades, I was quite anxious that they might fly all over the place and stood well back – it’s a pretty fool proof system. Ian
Cheers Ian, I’m sure I will be the same the first couple
Of times!

Back