Mattress Positioner Height Thingy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

can anyone come up with an idea to raise a crib \ cot mattress frame
most of what I look at have a set of holes in the end board and are bolted thru to the mattress frame
I hate seeing unused holes :oops:

I could make a feature of the holes ...not a clue how
or I am thinking maybe legs of different sizes

look forward to hearing your ideas
don't care if not all sensible suggestions...u never know
but safety is the utmost importance

Steve

rspsteve":8cqgxqmg said:
No ideas or sugestions Steve ...but want to know have you unwrapped that Bandsaw yet?

Steve

not yet
keep pushing past it
seems a shame to get it dusty :D

Steve

SteveF":3ujltsca said:
rspsteve":3ujltsca said:
No ideas or sugestions Steve ...but want to know have you unwrapped that Bandsaw yet?

Steve

not yet
keep pushing past it
seems a shame to get it dusty :D

Steve

Same here ...been busy trying to set up the other bits one day soon though .
Steve

could you plug the hole with a dowel, that is not too snugly fitting. then knock it out when you need to. However, on my daughters cot/1st bed thing, the shoulders of the through bolts marked the headboard and footboard. There are also holes where sides fitted and were removed. However you do it, I fear you will have holes or redundant fixings of some form. Its not so bad when they go into a first bed, you dont need to alter it then, until they want a race car/princess bed, but that is a new project.

I was hoping this will be a convertible

so the top half will get removed to make a bed

I did think about brass inserts..maybe proud so they don't mark headboard

or I sketched a pineapple drawing ...wonder if this would work

photo looks upside down :(

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 151
do they have to be holes drilled right through? or would stopping just shy of the outside edge help your woes? on the other hand, you could make some decorations to hide the holes, rabbits, flowers or whatever suits the baby,cut from small pieces of ply or carved, with the dowel plugs attached to the back.

could you notch the inside corners of the frame / legs?
I was thinking if you notched them on the inside then push two rails into the notches the mattress frame will sit on the rail - small screws from under side of rail will secure it to mattress base and stop the rails falling out unintentionally.
The frame would need to be self - supporting though if it relies on having the mattress base bolted to it to stand up it wont be much good.

I though about "blind" holes
I like the dowel idea

other thought I have is maybe put table legs on the mattress base and fill the legs with holes only 1 hole in end and always in use
that hole will still need to be there at the convertible stage so just need a way to make legs removable
I could supply a saw with it and they could shorten legs as the mattress goes down :D
this is a gift so don't want it too complicated

or like my picture but maybe a triangle hinge affair with 2 fixed points

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 122
Make a notch like this on the inside of the cot frame and then put a rail across either side of the cot frame. Rail needs to be wide enough that matress base will sit on the rail

Dont glue rails as they need to be moved as you will put notches at different heights giving you the adjustment.
once the rails are in the notches the mattress base ( which i am assuming is a rectangular frame with lats across) will sit on top of the rails and can be secured with a couple of screws to stop the rails moving.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 112
that makes more sense :D

now I am thinking if I extend that slot most of height say 18" instead of the 2" in your pic ...brain ticking

then cut the front ones all the way thru...I defaced your pic :oops:
pic 2.png

I could then put legs on the mattress base
the legs could be drilled to adjust height
slide mattress unit out
adjust height
slide it back
I can plan it so that the legs are binned \ stored when it is converted

all this to avoid holes in the headboard :D

Attachments

• pic 2.png
    pic 2.png
    63 KB · Views: 108
I dont think it would need legs to be honest, here is a bit beter pic of what i meant

The legs are obvious with notches - the light wood is the rails that should be a snug fit into the notches and provide enough of a lip inside the frame for the mattress base to sit on.

The white represents the mattress and base

You would slide the rails into the notches at both sides ( or ends depends which way you choose to do it )
and then drop the mattress frame on top - followed by the mattress, sheets, quilts and hopefully a child lol

Just incase the child wants to bounce around once mattress frame is on top of rails I would screw them to mattress base from underside to they cant be wiggled back out

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 99
getting there thankyou

makes load more sense

i guess i could cut dado straight across
use a different wood to make a feature to put the blocks back

I know that is just sketchup with the blocks and not intended as part of the joint...but make cutting easier :D

this is the plan...unless someone offers an alternative

this will be a piece of furniture...in my eyes...so no mdf :D
it is also a gesture for excitement of my 1st grandson

Steve

this may be easier to acheive.

Simple corner bracket that sits in a rebate on each leg, with 2 HEFTY dowels to locate it - drill holes every 6 inch or so? should give 3 or 4 height settings?

I would secure with screw straight through the gap between dowels though - just to be sure brackets dont come loose

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 33
Any hows while sketchup is on ( i only downloaded it today i quite like it )
here is the same idea expanded on a little bit to give you a rough idea of a whole leg ( unshaped but essentially layed out )
of course your dowels would be in a straight line and the same diameter and depth but you get the idea - i hope....
the mortice's top and bottom are for the styles that will form the bottom and top piece of the head or foot board.
Dont have to mortice and tenon its just to show where they might join the frame.
Also note how the rebate for the corner bracket does not come up all the way - as you wouldnt want the mattress that height.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back