Maths

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cambournepete":13go028g said:
Benchwayze":13go028g said:
... a barrel of oil, by however many litres there are in a barrel. (How many litres are in a barrel, BTW? Or is it measured in Gallons anyway!)
42 US gallons or almost 159l.

Unlike a brewer's barrel, which is 36 imperial (UK) gallons.

I thought beer barrels were different sizes with different names like:

A Pin 4.5 Gallons
A Firkin 9 gallons
A Kilderkin 18 Gallons
A Barrel 36 Gallons
A Puncheon 72 Gallons
A Tun 216 Gallons
A Hogshead 54 Gallons
A Butt 108 Gallons.
Give me a Butt any day!
:lol:

Bit late but regarding the petrol costing 147.9p per litre there's more to it than has been mentioned. The reason they they price it like that is for psychological reasons but how much you get charged is dependent on how they handle the fraction of a penny once you've finished filling up. Lets pretend for now that you can only add whole litres of fuel to your car. If you put in 1 litre the charge is 147.9p but, obviously, you can only pay in whole pence. The petrol station therefore have three choices about how to convert the cost of the fuel into a figure that you can actually pay. These are often called: ceiling, floor and round.

Depending on the method they use this will be the final price you are charged
Ceiling: 148p - takes the price up to the next whole number
Floor: 147p - takes the price down to the previous whole number
Round: 148p - takes the price to the nearest whole number either up or down

If you bought 9 litres of fuel the exact charge would be 9*147.9=1331.1p. The price you pay with the three rounding methods would be:
Ceiling: 1332p
Floor: 1331p
Round: 1331p

My guess would be that petrol stations use either floor or round to correct the price to a whole penny. Round is best as it's fair to both the consumer and the company but they may use floor to make sure they completely avoid the possibility of over charging. The problem with rounding is that half the time the consumer is paying up to 0.5p more for the fuel they are buying. They are of course paying up to 0.5p less for their fuel the other half the time but our glorious media services wouldn't point that out if they got hold of the story.

Benchwayze":f9u4cved said:

A Pin 4.5 Gallons
A Firkin 9 gallons
A Kilderkin 18 Gallons
A Barrel 36 Gallons
A Puncheon 72 Gallons
A Tun 216 Gallons
A Hogshead 54 Gallons
A Butt 108 Gallons.
Give me a Butt any day!

You are sort of correct. The different sizes of kegs that you list are what the beer is stored and transported in. When a brewer talks of the size of a (small to medium) brewing plant its output, per brewing cycle, is measured in barrels e.g. 2 1/2, 5 or 10 barrels of 36 gallons each. When talking about major breweries, they measure output in hectolitres.

whiskywill":pfwjokjn said:
Benchwayze":pfwjokjn said:

A Pin 4.5 Gallons
A Firkin 9 gallons
A Kilderkin 18 Gallons
A Barrel 36 Gallons
A Puncheon 72 Gallons
A Tun 216 Gallons
A Hogshead 54 Gallons
A Butt 108 Gallons.
Give me a Butt any day!

You are sort of correct. The different sizes of kegs that you list are what the beer is stored and transported in. When a brewer talks of the size of a (small to medium) brewing plant its output, per brewing cycle, is measured in barrels e.g. 2 1/2, 5 or 10 barrels of 36 gallons each. When talking about major breweries, they measure output in hectolitres.
Cheers Will,

Yes, I was aware those were 'off the dray' measurements; I was just showing off my ability to Google and find the names! :mrgreen: Since I gave up the beer, my local next door is only taking delivery of a firkin a week! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back