Material Warping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just common sense. The problem is everything and the problem is nothing. Air pressure, high pressure, low pressure, moisture at 7.5, moisture at 25; on and on. Don't store anything in containers. Cut your own boards/timber and then you can control the quality. Choose a quality stable board from a good supplier. Find out how the boards are made. Where they are made, How they are stored. 21st century MDFMR and Birch Plywood are just about the worse for bowing. Don't rush, be in control of the whole process. Make no door less than 22mm thick. Avoid all skinny sizes. 1000mm x 330mm? Can't you design it differently? Don't leave anything 'stacked upright' against a wall. If you have to store them then it's always flat, dead flat, level, horizontal, off the spirit level, then it's belly to belly, scoop to scoop, no sticks in between, then clamp them all together. Your boards and timber have to have pretty much the same stable moisture content throughout the process, so does your store room, workshop and bays and that moisture content has to be about the same as the client's house. All these conditions/rules can be followed; if you won't or don't then you should leave the business.
Thanks for your feedback/reply I think the last part of your answer is abit extreme and isn't helpful at all 'if you won't or don't then you should leave the business'. Leave the business because the moisture content of your workshop isn't the same as the clients? You also started your reply 'It's just common sense. The problem is everything and the problem is nothing' which makes no sense.

I've put it down to moisture difference between the two environments, I was also taught never to stack timber without strips between to allow air flow and moisture affecting one side causing it to bow. I thought about maybe buying some 2x2 aluminmum sections and clamping the doors to the sections prior to install to ensure they're straight and prevent it in the future. Sounds abit daft admittely but it may work.

Back