Material for router baseplates.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archpa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Where can I source phenolic, acrylic, or polycarbonate to make router base plates.

I live in South East.

Many thanks.

I found a local place in the Yellow pages under "plastics" . It's on a small industrial estate and has sheets of the stuff that it sells to local industry and sign makers. I snaffled a few offcuts (with their blessing ) from their skip and it cost zero.

Chris is right, Yellow Pages, there's a plastic stockholder in most areas. Tufnol is the material of choice but very smelly to machine. I would go with the polycarbonate if you have the choice (you will)
John

Hi
Try your local glaziers - I got some polycarbonate from them - not cheap but goes a long way and is very tough.
Cheers
Gidon

I'm with Jake Tufnol is a delight to machine, ahh the smell.........takes me back to my youth :)

Bean

If you are using for a router table plate, Bill Hylton in 'Router Magic' says that polycarbonate is not maybe as 'sag resistant' as acrylic or phenolic if you are hanging a big router from it. Having said that, I bought a piece of polycarbonate from Rockler when I was on holiday last. Haven't bought the 1/2" router yet though!
Anybody got any experience of polycarbonate for router plates?

Tough as old boots but I don't reckon PC is stiff enough. Polypropylene (PP) is fairly stiff and reasonably low friction. Glass filled Nylon even stiffer. I'd go for Phenolic Fabric e.g Tufnol if you can afford it.

Ike

Latest posts

Back