Matching repair to rest of finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thecornflake

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been working on my bureau project that I posted about previously. I believe the wood on the drawer fronts to be sapele having done some research. After stripping and sanding back I used some oil finish and am really pleased with the results (you can see the original finish as the rest of the case isnt started yet). I'm not fussed about small marks because its an old piece but theres a big gouge out of one of the drawers (above and right of the handle) which I'd like to cover a little better. I tried just using repair wax which for smaller ones looks fine but for the size of this one it doesn't really work well. Is there a better way to do this other than possibly trying to mix paint in a matching colour and paint a grain effect?

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_171125_compress86.jpg
    IMG_20200613_171125_compress86.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 133
You can fill the dent with clear epoxy resin. Make sure the dent is clean, if it needs a stain to adjust the colour do this before filling. Fill with epoxy making sure the epoxy seeps into the top edge of the dent but does not overspill into the surrounding wood. When the epoxy is hard, sand it down level then sand the epoxy only with fine wet and dry until it is clear then finish the drawer front as you would normally. It will show a little but is the best method of filling large dents that will not steam out.

Back