Matching a colour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hh849

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am currently working on fitting some drawers to my mate's granddad's workbench.

I'm also putting an extra leg in the middle of the bench to reduce the sag in the shelf area which I will be fitting the drawers to, which is unsupported in the middle. You can see this in the image below.

IMG_20190905_135554.jpg

However, I want to match this foot/leg to the others and the rest of the frame in terms of finish. My guess would be that this bench was finished with something like linseed oil, which I have heard darkens with age. I have tried mixing this with a darker stain but my attempts so far to recreate the colour have been unsuccessful.

I was hoping the venerable members of this forum would be able to offer some of their wisdom on this matter.

Regards,

Harvey

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_135554.jpg
    IMG_20190905_135554.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
Personally, I would get some Potassium Permanganate Crystals and mix it with about 20 parts or more of water and very sparingly apply it, this will artificially oxidize and age the timber which might be closer to the look you're going for, then try applying the linseed oil on top.

Thank you, that's a really interesting solution (baa doom tish). But seriously, great idea, is it something you've applied successfully before?

hh849":2txc0lfb said:
is it something you've applied successfully before?

Yes, it works well with most timbers, you've just got to apply it VERY sparingly otherwise you might end up with a very deep purple-brown piece of wood. Also worth wearing gloves just in case you get it on your hands, otherwise you'll end up with purple-brown hands :lol:.

Back