Master switch for a circuit of sockets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that adds a slightly different value (and could be added) I am concerned less by emergency stop and more by temporary isolation to avoid children playing with machinery
I can’t see if the turn off switch has a key, if it doesn’t then the emergency stop switch has exactly the same function as when pushed it latches off.

the isolator is a switch you move from 1 to 0 and back - but also has the ability to padlock it when off to stop it being turned on...
anyway - it is installed, so will see how it goes! :)

And then you get a "smart" meter (all plastic) upstream of your nice new metal CU !!o_O
Um, that will be the next excuse to have the hardware re-wired...., so far I've resisted the pressure to get one and covid seems to have scared the provider off. Our gas meter is a massive industrial one as my dear family like to roast themselves over winter, not sure if domestic smart meters will cover the flow rate?

The reason that there is thermal events with consumer units is poor inspection and testing, screws loosen over time and things degrade but rather than address the actual issues the powers that be (IET) decided to allow thermal events but contain them in a metal enclosure with all cable entries sealed. Yes it made sparkies a lot of money because when undertaking other work they just insist the main board is upgraded because it is old, outdated and a fire risk, the unscrupulous would add that now it has been pointed out and you know then your insurers would not cover.

Um, that will be the next excuse to have the hardware re-wired...., so far I've resisted the pressure to get one and covid seems to have scared the provider off. Our gas meter is a massive industrial one as my dear family like to roast themselves over winter, not sure if domestic smart meters will cover the flow rate?
we have a first gen smart meter here... no issues, but equally no huge machines

The reason that there is thermal events with consumer units is poor inspection and testing, screws loosen over time and things degrade but rather than address the actual issues the powers that be (IET) decided to allow thermal events but contain them in a metal enclosure with all cable entries sealed. Yes it made sparkies a lot of money because when undertaking other work they just insist the main board is upgraded because it is old, outdated and a fire risk, the unscrupulous would add that now it has been pointed out and you know then your insurers would not cover.
The more I read this, the more I respect our sparky. He did exactly as you said, did a full check of every circuit, took two full days as we have a lot of sockets, an old cellar and garage/workshop and a faulty external socket next to a disused pond. He found loads of lose connections in the MCB and some sockets. His work cured the intermittent RCD failure when we turned the induction stove on - loose wires in the utility room behind the stove. He pointed out the consumer unit was no longer up to date, but said he would change it when we have our cellar re-wired - next expense to give the kids a games area.

Hi Tom

Yes a good electrician could be a lifesaver, too many people only think there is something wrong when something stops working.

Last edited:
Back