Mass regulation equals more employment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that was the case before Oct last year.

But that was only a case of paying the fee and getting them checked to make sure that they conformed with the regs.

If you were putting windows in all the time it was worth joining FENSA, I have nothing against FENSA it just really used to annoy me that there were FENSA companies saying it was the law.

FENSA is a company in the game to make money.

I stopped making windows last year when the building regs changed.

The whole window now has to have a energy performance rating like you see on fridges and washing machines etc.

This has to be better than a C rating at the moment, and after 2013 it will have to be an A rating, and the manufacturer has to provide a certificate.

This means that it is a lot harder for building control to test the windows.

I think at that time it then became non notifiable, although I may be wrong.

There are companies out there who sell the software and licences to work out your ratings so it is not difficult to do.

But I decided that I could not be bothered with the hassle of having a paper trail for just a handful of jobs a year.

It was only a very small part of my turnover anyway.

What will start to happen is when you sell your house the solicitors will want copies of the certificates if you have had windows fitted after Oct 2010.

Tom

I agree Tom..the WER scheme is one of the biggest waste of time out. I dug into this in great depth when it came out and the amount of energy saving between pre and post Oct'10 is the equivalent of the heat loss from a gnat's fart. Partly why I only now do windows for Listed Buildings.

Having said that a window with Planitherm Total+, a 16mm argon filled gap and K glass (IIRC) gives you the magic 1.2 number to avoid needing a WER test. You still need Building Control to sign off the bit of paper and pay them money but if you want a window in your house that looks anywhere decent then that's the route you have to go down. Also why many 'new' houses have more timber than glass in their windows...oh gawd....you've got me started.

Roger

This is why I decided to concentrate on furniture and kitchens which is what I should be doing anyway and drop the exterior joinery manufacture.

I did not bother with FENSA when I used to do them as most of my windows were sliding sash and there was enough money in most of the jobs you could hide the £115 that was payable to the council.

The change to the new regs was a complete balls up from the start as there was very little publication to one man band joiners shops about it, I know a couple of people who found out in Sept 2010 and had to do a lot of running around to sort themselves out.

To be honest I should of done this years ago as I am making more money by concentrating on one key area and not messing around in the cold and rain putting windows and doors in.

Tom

Back