Masonry bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - why are the cutting tips of masonry bits wider than the shaft? Especially with larger holes, it means the bit wiggles all over the place and you can't get a nice parallel-sided hole for eg 10mm cylindrical expansion bolts (my current problem).

I'm thinking of finding a bit whose shaft is 10mm, then grinding down, if possible, the cutting thing to 10mm.

Any comments please?

it means the bit wiggles all over the place and you can't get a nice parallel-sided hole
Unless the bit has been badly ground and the web is off-centre then it will go in the direction that force is applied. Try using a bit more pressure and check the runout on your machine chuck.

Thanks. I don't usually have a problem, but this was drilling into a wall about a foot above my head. So it was difficult applying force.
I started off with a small bit, then I think two more successively larger ones before finally going with 10mm.

Imagine my joy, when, after all that sweating, the expansion bolt still wouldn't go in!

just get better qual drill's....this is Dewalt but there are many more manuf's....
F3621559-01.jpg

the standard drill bits have just a plane end, there are some out there with a second but smaller cutting tip.....
my prefer'd choice now.......
u'll also notice the shank has been ground with three sides, no more slipping.....

Thanks. Could you manage a close-up of the DeWalt bit tip?
Do those and the Hilti ones have a preference for going straight, or will they still rely on the user to hold the drill straight and rigid?
(It's only 8 holes altogether, so I don't want to break the bank!)

Back