Masks and Specs and Beards and Shopping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only that, I just fall into the grouping of expendable members of society who are inconveniencing your current lifestyle. Even though my taxes were funding your furlough.

I wasn't furloughed, I am self employed and was able to continue to work through without issue, having a bumper year actually :D

Or a modified cotton shopping bag - my wife has specs and hearing aids - normal mask not an option. Or shop late at night when no-one else is around, use self-service till, and do without mask.

Attachments

• thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 19
Being bearded I use one of these Virustatic Shields which are both suitable for beards. I also have a rather large cranium, but although a little on the tight side (one size fits all) these masks are pretty comfortable to wear. I can't however comment on wearing glasses with one of these though.

Virustatic Shield - Face Coverings With Built in Viruferrin™️ Protection

Getting back to the original problem - most disposable face-masks have a wire sewn into the edge of the bit that sits over your nose. If you pinch that down over your nose and wear your glasses over the mask the steaming up problem is somewhat ameliorated. I have glasses and a beard and I manage OK.

My main job for many years was a refrigeration engineer. A lot of the work entailed walking in and out of low temperature areas and glasses steamed up when we walked out of a cold store, for example. Washing-up liquid, 'Fairy' and the like, had just come on the market then... a slightly diluted bit of soap liquid smeared on the glass, back and front and allowed to dry solved the problem - no steaming up due to condensation.
Thank you for the suggestion Artie but washing up liquid has quite a lot of salt in it which I think would destroy the coating on my lenses!

Getting back to the original problem - most disposable face-masks have a wire sewn into the edge of the bit that sits over your nose. If you pinch that down over your nose and wear your glasses over the mask the steaming up problem is somewhat ameliorated. I have glasses and a beard and I manage OK.
I have tried that but I have Zeiss wire frames with varifocal lenses, there is no pulling them forward, as they go out of focus and spring back to where they are supposed to be anyway!

Being bearded I use one of these Virustatic Shields which are both suitable for beards. I also have a rather large cranium, but although a little on the tight side (one size fits all) these masks are pretty comfortable to wear. I can't however comment on wearing glasses with one of these though.

Virustatic Shield - Face Coverings With Built in Viruferrin™️ Protection
Thank you for that suggestion, I had not heard of Virustatic shields but will check them out.

I think we may have the ultimate solution. It required the Greek government, both the health and the education departments, procurement officers, and and a crisis, but we have done it.

masksoversized2.jpg

Lots more info here: Oversized masks: Greek parents at risk to pick up wrong kid from school - Keep Talking Greece

Deputy Education Minister Sofia Zacharaki told Alpha TV that everything was too quickly and there were obviously some mistakes that will be corrected.” She said that the size instructions were given by the committee but she did not clarify which one.

A total of 1.6 million masks were distributed in schools on Monday. Zacharaki said that this was the first batch and implied the next batch will have the correct size.

I have tried that but I have Zeiss wire frames with varifocal lenses, there is no pulling them forward, as they go out of focus and spring back to where they are supposed to be anyway!
Have you tried putting a strip of surgical tape along the top edge of the mask to seal it to your face? Supposed to be very effective.

Have you tried putting a strip of surgical tape along the top edge of the mask to seal it to your face? Supposed to be very effective.
Thats not a bad suggestion Rich, I was looking for something easy though! I ordered a snood which arrived yesterday, It was a bit better than the masks but not a total success, my glasses still steamed up. It was however really comfortable to wear and being able to just pop it up was great. I might try the surgical tape at home today as we have some.

Our cotton shopping bag (see earlier post), works well, and has had good (amused) feedback, but we have now bought this hat - it is basically a sun-hat, with detachable neck-protector. However, it also has a detachable (using poppers), breathable face covering, which can be worn loose, or tucked under with the neck strap.
Cool, no steaming-up of glasses - a good solution, we think, for those whose glasses and hearing aids make it impossible to wear ear-mounted masks. www.gadiemkensd.net - about £6.

Attachments

• mask 1.jpg
    mask 1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 18
  • Mask 2.jpg
    Mask 2.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 18
Well, I have exhausted all types of mask and face coverings as well as putting surgical tape over the top of the mask and nothing worked so I have gone back to contact lenses. I have tried contacts on about four or five occasions over the past twenty five years and given up on them each time but I think it is my only answer now. I have a five day trial pack and I’m on day three. Getting the little pippers in and out is the problem, this morning I spent twenty minutes stabbing away at my eyeballs until I finally got them in. Once in they are comfortable, the vision is not as sharp as my specs but acceptable for day to day stuff. The best thing of course is it has eliminated the steam up issue so I can now see when in shops. Also walking the dog in the rain is better as I don’t have to keep my head down to stop the rain splashing my specs. Progress!

Back