Masking Tape Failure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I used some Blue Masking Tape from Screwfix or Toolstation (bought some from each and cannot remember which is which?)
Very sticky and on removal damaged the surrounding paintwork, also left behind sticky blue glue that I had to wash off with Goo-gone.
Bit of a disaster - will have buy the more expensive stuff in the future?

Rod

I have found:

1. Not all blue tape is alike.
2. You get what you pay for when you go with a big name tape brand.

You can ask a pro painter what they use.

Kirk

I get my tape from In-Excess in Salisbury and thus far (touch wood) it's been OK...of varying quality, sometimes good and at others not quite so 'icky' but I've never had the problems you describe Rod. In fact the current stuff was used to pull up a trial sample of a coopered door the other day and it did pull it up tight, so it can't be too bad - Rob

I've used literally hundreds of metres of low tack blue tape.

Tried the cheapy stuff e.g. screwfix and toolstation, and it was false economy: harder to peel, too much stick, blue dye even ran into the wood after contact with water at glue clean up....

Now always use '3M' brand, type '3232', available in various widths, I buy from ebay or the 3M website direct.

Back