Martins Late

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously nothing to be found at the Dorchester Boot sale today, or is Martin having to take so many pic's of his new finds? :D :D

Come on Martin show your wares, its what keeps me sane here.
Am I allowed to go next Sunday? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Waka
Not so much late as not quite sure that everyone here actually approves of me doing these car boot threads in view of some negative comment generated when people showcased their tools on another thread. ( I loved the thread BTW!)

I only started doing this because I thought folks might be interested/amused to see what one can turn up by rust burrowing. The thought that it might be taken as showing off had not occured to me and is certainly not the case.

Seems harmless enough to me.... :? :?
Regards
Martin (Who did Yeovil as well today......)

No pictures, didn't happen Martin :lol:

So yeah, I wanna see. Most of the places to go around here don't have anything to even yawn about. Usually. I did just get a ... :twisted:

Mike

I wanna see too. Just don't mind me when I sob at the low prices... :cry: :lol: Not a rusty sausage for me this morning; an awful lot of walking for nothing but a roll of wrapping paper. #-o

And what exactly did you do to Yeovil anway? :-s Whatever it was, it probably deserved it...

Cheers, Alf

Martin
Pleased don't be discouraged! We do enjoy having our nose rubbed in it.... :lol: (just joking!)
Are you sure you just didn't find anything gloatworthy??? :wink:
Cheers
Philly :lol:
Who DOES appreciate it!

mahking51":1mdioo72 said:
I only started doing this because I thought folks might be interested/amused to see what one can turn up by rust burrowing. The thought that it might be taken as showing off had not occured to me and is certainly not the case.

Seems harmless enough to me.... :? :?
Regards
Martin (Who did Yeovil as well today......)

Martin keep posting them - regardless of the comments in other threads, most people appreciate them

I am not happy about attempts to sensor innocent posts about tool collections or collecting :twisted:

Hi Martin,

Please keep posting your pics. of the results of your 'rust burrowing'. You invariably come up with items that are unusual, interesting and, often, fascinating!

I commented in a recent thread that I was not interested in the tool collection pictures shown, mainly because there were many duplications of the tools shown in a number of the pictures. But that does not mean that others should not enjoy them if they wish. That was just my opinion on that thread, where I ended my post saying, "each to his own, of course." Therefore, I was not, and certainly did not intend to be, critical of any of the contributors. Never thought that just expressing an opinion would be, judging by the reaction therein, such a big deal! :roll: :lol: :lol:

(It was suggested by one that if I was not interested I shouldn't bother to read the thread. #-o That was a pretty nonsensical comment to me! A thread title often gives little clue to the contents of a thread, particularly when it wanders off-topic (as I am doing here :oops: ), so I read all the threads on these Forums - that is how I discover whether or not they are interesting to me!)

So, back on topic, for my part please keep posting the pictures of your finds, Martin.

Cheers,

Trev.

Never mind Martin.

You can go to the Axminster show in a few weeks and no doubt with your acquired bargaining skills should get some good deals. :)

Well, in that case....!
I did manage to find a few bits and bobs this Sunday whilst rooting about.
First off was this set of Record 130 Sash heads for 50p.
Sashcramp.jpg

Followed by an unusual saw, kind of like a large pad saw but I do not know the proper name for it; no makers mark just an owners name. 50p
Thin-Saw.jpg

Next up was a No3 size Canadian Defiance by Stanley, totes have very heavy flaking of finish but no dings and stamped with Defiance by Stanley, original iron with Made in Canada. £2
N03Canada01.jpg

N03Canada04.jpg

Pick of the litter was this nice Bailey No7 with no damage, always wanted one of these to play with, so went mad and paid £9.
No701.jpg

Right nice haul, Martin!

I too found some Record sash cramp heads...but they were about as rotten with rust as the wood they were attached to. Pity. I've always wanted a few.

The 7 is nice. Seems like a good price too.

Thanks! Mike

Well there you are, ladies and gents, proof that there must be more village idiots per square inch in Dorset than anywhere else. ](*,) £9 for a #7?! The seller should be taken out and shot for being a disgrace to ignorance. :roll: The saw might be a compass saw with the point of the blade busted, or a pruning saw. One of a nest of saws would be my initial guess.

Cheers, Alf

Alf
The saw tip appears to be unbroken/unfiled with a gentle curve to the top corner; 6tpi and filed rip.
Whats a nest of saws please? (I know, I should be able to look it up somewhere..... :p
Re the No7, I was well chuffed, it only started at a tenner and for once I was not going for the kill in the haggling! Normally I will bicker for hours over 25p! Its not being mean, just the thrill of the deal, must have got it from my old Dad who used to buy ex war surplus three tonners and then make sure they were full of something when he came to pick them up from the depot; best ever was three lorry loads of motorcycles!
Ah, happy days!
Regards
Martin

mahking51":27etdi9k said:
The saw tip appears to be unbroken/unfiled with a gentle curve to the top corner; 6tpi and filed rip.
Then I would think pruning.

mahking51":27etdi9k said:
Whats a nest of saws please? (I know, I should be able to look it up somewhere..... :p
Like, erm, Google...? :p Tsk, can't find a nice old one, but a modern version:
721618500936253000-dv-resized200.jpg
Ah wait, here's a catalogue entry that's quite informative.I should really clean up mine and get a pic. Basically three blades; table or pruning, compass, keyhole; and one handle. Most popular with plumbers, electricians and for general household use.

Cheers, Alf

See how easy it is Martin, we all look forward to these finds of yours.
I'll be there Sunday for a browse.

Alf":g7bhek2u said:
Well there you are, ladies and gents, proof that there must be more village idiots per square inch in Dorset than anywhere else. £9 for a #7?! The seller should be taken out and shot for being a disgrace to ignorance.

Methinks this seller comes from C******l, definately not a Dorsetshire man

Alf
As per usual I think you are spot on, just took the handle off to clean up and there is the slot in the blade.
Soooooo much more fun getting you to comment than looking it up on Google, I dream of the day you get it badly wrong and then I can pounce... :p :p
Seriously Alf , as always many thanks.
Martin

mahking51":i6ilpzr3 said:
Soooooo much more fun getting you to comment than looking it up on Google, I dream of the day you get it badly wrong and then I can pounce... :p :p
For all you know I wake up in the wee small hours from hideous nightmares screaming "For the love of Norm, I've mis-identified a Type 7b Burfl as a pre-production Wotchamacallit. Hand me the pearl-handled revolver and I'll do the only honourable thing"... 8-[ :wink:

As it happens, having thought again, it could just be a stand-alone compass saw - see here. I won't rest for worrying about that now... [-(

Cheers, Alf

Nice interesting finds there, Martin. Thanks for posting the pics! :wink:
When I see old tools like that, e.g. the plane from Canada, it gets me wondering about what sort of life it has had so far, and what kind of work it has been involved in. Wouldn't it be fascinating to know!

Cheers,

Trev.

Back