Martin T54 & T45 Planer and Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allylearm

Established Member
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/rgWwpCkyUYI

I very much like this combination though at the top end of the budget comapered to others, having used them they are quick and well thought out for user. Some very nice touches but again does not come cheap £25k for them both. Ow, I would go for the table extension option at the rear of the thicknesser for single person operation. Tersa cutters are quiet, blocks are lighter, noise is very much reduced and as you see easy to change.

The Crown guard on planer/jointer is fab along with the fence switchability.

As old school I like this combination in Joinery Manufacturing the squaring ability gives a better result though is slower in production. I very much steer away from combination machinery other than Spindles with a sliding table, in use and over time the combination quality is the issue and you always need the bit you are not setup for, dedicated machinery saves in operation time/setup and is better quality in long term. As long as space is not an issue, a constant problem of mine and anyone with a workshop no matter the size can testify.

Allylearm":i4lrtznk said:
... As long as space is not an issue, a constant problem of mine and anyone with a workshop no matter the size can testify.

An eternal struggle.:)

I have always wondered about the utility of very high end combo equipment. It has always seemed that if you could afford it, you could afford more space and have separate machines. In addition, the quantity of work required to actually make these machines pay would seem to overwhelm what little space is saved, unless you're doing some low-quantity, ultra-high-end furniture or cabinet work.

(Edit: Having reviewed the video again, I see the two machines are not connected--I'd thought they were sharing some parts just because they were in close proximity. Which doesn't negate my earlier statement, but it does mean these machines aren't an example of it.)

That being said, I've heard of hobbyiests that have various Martin machines because--well, because they can. Sort of like having a Ferrari, but more reliable.:)

Kirk

Those are some very nice machines!

If I had the space for a 600mm planer and a 600 mm thicknesser I would certainly upgrade from my Stenberg combination to separate machines from Jonsered or Waco or Wadkin....... anything newer is way way way out of reach financially.

Latest posts

Back