Marples M 146 Holdfast

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I've looked high and low for one of these but can't find one anywhere. If anyone has any leads for a Marples M 146 Holdfast let me know, my budget is £40 plus postage.

Thanks,

Custard

custard":1ngbynkd said:
I've looked high and low for one of these but can't find one anywhere. If anyone has any leads for a Marples M 146 Holdfast let me know, my budget is £40 plus postage.

Thanks,

Custard

ebay and be patient- 2 in the last 30 days, one of which was sold well in budget, the other just over.

Also worth a look at the likes of old tools and old school tools websites (+ others)

Try http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =16&t=7607 it may have sold by now, but there is always the chance that it didn't and because it doesn't take up any room it has been left under the bench for another day.

Fanally, if it is the design that you want, http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/toolbox.p ... cellaneous is a woden version and IIRC Veritas do something not dissimilar too, although will likely blow the budget.

custard":2xy6urgg said:

Thanks,

Custard

Ive got one you can have brand new and unused is this what you are after

P1010572.jpg

dickm":1uqfbdaw said:
.... and if you want a spare socket, pretty sure there's one knocking around my workshop that you could have.

+1

Having more than one location point for a holdfast increases its versatility.

Holdfasts were made in varying sizes :)

holdfast.JPG

BugBear

The Tilgear one is well made, but, importantly, also a bit too well painted. I think it's powder coated.

Anyway, shaft+paint is a bit too thick overall to be comfortable in the genuine 146 collars I've got fitted to the bench top. A bit of coarse filing off of the serrated side of the column means it's now fine, although it'll now rust like the Marples/Record ones :-(

Cheers,

E.

Excuse the newbie posting without description. I have been very well endowed with Marples tools mainly on eBay. Having had most of my cherished Marples tools stolen over the years I decided that hitting 74 yrs ‘‘twas time to try and accumulate“ more replacements starting coming my way over the last year “bingo” an M4 smoother. Then bit by bit the shelf filled with that great vision of Marples bright red upto and including M7. Then last week an un numbered M5. Roger Ball (Canada), Roger took great interest in the plane and two of his emails I have shown these on my new Facebook group Wm Marples tools and other tools. I was please to stumble on to the web group as there is a great deal of valuable information doted here and there. The Marples hold fast only came up on Monday £18 I grabbed with both hands.

Attachments

• 68B74B57-EAB2-49F4-89E9-210C30DEE7EE.jpeg
    68B74B57-EAB2-49F4-89E9-210C30DEE7EE.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 37115AF9-028C-4C20-8AFA-9D794126D279.jpeg
    37115AF9-028C-4C20-8AFA-9D794126D279.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back