Marples Bowsaw owners please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
I think there are one or two of you out there? Could someone measure their stretcher (that is the stretcher of their saw :roll: ) and let me have the dimensions? Yeah I could guess the size for the replacement, but might as well get it accurate. :) Ta muchly.

Cheers, Alf

Alf,
Mine is model 910-5798.... 12"

the stretcher length is 255mm plus the depth for the tenons, without stripping down i would estimate these at about 12-15mm deep.

hope this is of help

Ian

Cool, Ian, thanks. Any chance of the width and thickness? Model number? Crumbs, haven't a clue what mine might be. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

bowsaw.jpg

if theres not enough info let me know and i'll update it
Ian

Ian,

This might seem silly, but what program did you use to create the illustration?

Mine's home in the shop right now but the real question is: What happened to your saw that you need a new stretcher???? :D

Regan,
It was done in sketchup, took me a few days to get the basics of it but quite easy to learn

Ian

Roger Nixon":2wcd7yuy said:
Mine's home in the shop right now but the real question is: What happened to your saw that you need a new stretcher???? :D
Wasn't me, guv, I got it like that. There's a genuinely junky junk shop, who location I will not disclose 'cos it's about time to have another look at it, wherein I spent about half an hour clambering over car wheels, trunks, tables, hats stands etc to get to "the tools". I went through the lot, found the first bowsaw upright and kept digging until I found the other. The stretcher was nowhere to be found, not even right at the bottom amongst the spanners and old files. On the other hand I also reunited a jack plane with its tote, found a "Toga" drill index, coupla decent saws and so forth. This would be about 18 months ago at least, so it's not a repair I'm rushing into... :oops:

Now that I am finally doing something about it, I've had a "dammit, I hate it when that happens" moment. I decided lunch could go hang in favour or making a start. Found an ideal off-cut of beech, cleaned it up, dimensioned it. All going swimmingly. Measured my blade before starting - 12" rather than Ian's 10" - so made due allowance. Measured it a few times before cutting, just to make sure. Cut the stub tenons, all by hand 'cos things seemed to be going well, rounded their ends to fit the mortises and so forth. The LV medium shoulder and LN chisels did sterling work. Everything fits nicely. Let's see how it looks with the blade in then, shall we? Godsdammit, what the...? How in the hell...? By all things Normite - the damn thing's too short. :evil: Did I forget to allow the length of the tenons, you ask? Nope, I did not. What I did was measure the correct length, discovered the end needed a trim to get past a flaw in the wood, then re-measured and made a fresh mark to indicate the new cut, but left the old one on. Fool that I am I cut to the wrong mark. Damn and blast and flippin' heck. No more beech handy; means finding a board, doing some serious stock prep etc etc. Leave it for today and get something to eat. On the way out a mitre clamp, for reasons of its own, threw itself off the wall and landed, sharp point down, on my recently completed spokeshave. :shock: There's a horrible great ding right in the middle of the top of it now. I'm trying to tell myself it's just as well, it was bound to happen eventually, now I can use it without worrying about its looks etc etc. But I mean to say, which woodworking deity have I cheesed off today, for Norm's sake? :roll: I'm absolutely not going in the workshop again until tomorrow; it's one of those days. :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Yuk, I hate those days. Yes, best thing is to stay out of the shop for a day or so, let the gremlins or the biorythyms or whatever shake themselves loose and only then start again.

never mind Alf we all have one of those days.

I never realised it was a 10" model i thought the sizes were taken from the outside edges similar to my Pool Table they are measured from outside to outside, you learn something new every day.

replacement blades for these dont seem commonplace, i was wondering about a broken bandsaw blade 1/4" or so but not sure how to put the holes in it.....any thoughts

Ian

Ian Dalziel":1h8qrsst said:
replacement blades for these dont seem commonplace, i was wondering about a broken bandsaw blade 1/4" or so but not sure how to put the holes in it.....any thoughts
IIRC I was able to simply drill them when I made my framesaw. Failing that you can anneal (do I mean anneal?) the area where you want to drill by spinning a nail or summat right on the spot to heat it up. Or I've used a centre punch to make a dimple and then ground off the protusion to make the hole before now. Somewhere I've got a cobalt drill that's supposed to go through saw blades like butter, but I haven't tried it yet. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Well, Alf, not the story I expected but a good one! :lol:

Crown Tools offers 12" bow saw blades in 10 TPI. Woodworker's Supply carries them here in the States but I'm sure you would have sources over there.

Thanks Ian, I will have to track down a copy as it is exaclty what I've been looking for.

No more drawing on the back of envelopes for me! :lol:

Oh wait, who am I kidding............

DaveL":1hz7oyaf said:
Wow you have progressed to envelopes, what happened to fag packets and beer mats. :wink:

I quit smoking a year ago :) , but not to worry I still deface mats on a regular basis :wink:

Success! :D

bowsawstretcher.JPG

Still got to apply a finish, and might re-think the paddle maybe. But it works. Huzzah! Only 200 more tools to bring back to working order and I'm done...

Cheers, Alf

Excellent! Seeing an old tool rejoining the ranks of the workers always brings a smile to my face. Thank you!

Back