Marks in wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moreishminimalist

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just sanded down the surface of an old table and these marks revealed themselves. The surface is flat and smooth to touch and there are no exit wholes on the surface. Any ideas what the marks are?
16107311280624881817275885318255.jpg

Hi,
I have just sanded down the surface of an old table and these marks revealed themselves. The surface is flat and smooth to touch and there are no exit wholes on the surface. Any ideas what the marks are?View attachment 101072
A coincidence here, just yesterday a neighbour brought round an oak table top they were sanding down and was concerned about exactly the same thing. Consider them an attractive feature, I do. Cheers
Nick

Funny, it's all to do with opinion, I work with a lot of oak and really dislike them.
However they are part and parcel of oak and I wouldn't avoid them on a sale item, maybe avoid on my own stuff.

When you see medullary rays you know the wood is quarter sawn. This cut is usually the most stable and least likely to cup during its life, also often commands a premium price.

As above - Medder....medar...maddary....fk it. Natural things.
A sign of good oak.
I've 4 boards of this, saving them for just the right job. Got them out an old door I found in a skip.
DSCF2881.JPG

Latest posts

Back