Marking tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corneel

Established Member
Reaction score
On old tools you often find owners marks. That was for insurance reasons I've read somewhere. But do some of you still mark their tools? And where would you get a nice marking thingy?

Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

Now I just have to think up something catchy, because my name is way too long.

Corneel":1k0pfvhu said:

How do Greeks mark their tools?!

BugBear

bugbear":brj07gae said:
Corneel":brj07gae said:

How do Greeks mark their tools?!

BugBear

They buy a really expensive stamp...pay 40% deposit, get the IMF to pay the rest and then refuse to pay tax on it. :mrgreen:

Jim

I either stamp my name or carve my maker's mark into my tools. Not necessarily for insurance purposes, but mostly to do with being able to identify your own tools if some sticky fingered person borrows or decides he/she has more right to your tools than yourself.

Yes the insurance reason is obsolete now. I thought I had read somewhere that in the past because of the rules of the guilds, you had to stamp your name in your tools, so they were insured.

My name would never fit on a tool because of all the silly prepositions we use in our names. So maybe just initials, in an old fashioned font with a nice border? It's a pitty that firm doesn't have a website to get some inspiration.

Corneel":zklgj2nv said:
Yes the insurance reason is obsolete now. I thought I had read somewhere that in the past because of the rules of the guilds, you had to stamp your name in your tools, so they were insured.

My name would never fit on a tool because of all the silly prepositions we use in our names. So maybe just initials, in an old fashioned font with a nice border? It's a pitty that firm doesn't have a website to get some inspiration.

It could prove worth your while to investigate mason's marks, as this type of mark was used widely amongst craftsmen of all trades prior to improvements in literacy and the use of name stamps/carved intials. It simply needs to be a recognisable mark to differentiate your equipment/pieces of work from those used or made by others.

At one point I even managed to have my name engraved upon a number of my tools during my apprenticeship, as the college ran engraving classes and I'd call by with a couple of bits and pieces to be marked up by trainee engravers, but nothing fancy. The same tools are still in use and just as clearly marked/identifiable today as they were almost 40years ago.

Corneel":3omxn23e said:
So maybe just initials, in an old fashioned font with a nice border? It's a pitty that firm doesn't have a website to get some inspiration.

not quite what your after but this link to bill carter's website, if you scroll down abit there are some examples of there work

adidat

adidat":2467qu5h said:
Corneel":2467qu5h said:
So maybe just initials, in an old fashioned font with a nice border? It's a pitty that firm doesn't have a website to get some inspiration.

not quite what your after but this link to bill carter's website, if you scroll down abit there are some examples of there work

adidat

Wow. I assume Chalco are using some evil spark eroder; the stamps certainly don't look filed or milled.

BugBear

I don't know how they do it for the money honestly....

DSC_0254.JPG

Real quality...hand finished....they send you a sample impression on boxwood for approval...then they send for hardening and ship with test sample again.

If you want class...get one of these....

I am just a customer who is impressed...very impressed ( :wink: )....

Jim

Corneel":1zce9j83 said:
My name would never fit on a tool because of all the silly prepositions we use in our names.
You don't state your location, but would I be correct in suggesting you're Dutch?

Cheers, Vann.

Corneel":25jucbkr said:
Yes. I hope they send their stamps over the see too!

Jim, a question. How wide is your stamp?

Hi Corneel.....

I think a quick call or email to Ian will confirm shipping arrangements....and the stamp that I have is 1 1/4" by 1/4" which is the size I needed for stamping planes...the shot above being a hammer handle and on other tools I stamp some polished yew...made into a tag to add to the tool bag.

DSC_0644.JPG

I need to get another one for smaller work...when I can get around to it....

Hope this helps...

Jim

Latest posts

Back