Marking Mortices: a suggestion for an enhancement.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
memzey":18xvt8fr said:
..... to get it centred and to the correct thickness......
Centred? Mortices and tenons both should be gauged from the face side and/or face edge, with the same gauge, so centering doesn't come into it. Even if you actually want it central you still work from face and edge. A lot of stuff isn't central anyway, if M&Ts need to line up with mouldings, rebates etc.

The tenon centred in the mortice i.e. not skewed and with equal amounts taken off of both faces. Planning to fiddle with tenon faces to position your style/rail correctly seems a sure path to insanity.

I do strike all my gauge lines from a marked face or edge using dual pin mortice gauges. I have experimented with a Veritas disc type mortice gauge but find the ones with pins easier to use in most cases. I still have the Veritas but I find the pin variety (which can be bought for pennies at any car boot) a bit steadier in use as the stock rests against the fence and the beam of the tool rather than just the fence as with the disc type. Still, the disc one does cut very cleanly and has its place for certain tasks.

Thinking some more about sitting astride the stock as you mortice it; I assume something different is done when morticing the edges of styles in, for example, the edge of a style to be used in a cabinet door? Do you pack the stock out somehow and sit on it or just do those types of jobs on the bench?

Latest posts

Back