Marking knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay, just ordered my AI marking knife. All of £8.30. But of course I have to make the postage worth while, so another £52 (incl. postage) of 'essential' stuff added :shock: Shan't tell the wife...again.

Jacob":1atav7j5 said:
I can tell you are jealous!

Nah. When I get this back from the jewellers:
hp7.jpg
It'll be diamond-encrusted all along the sides, in graceful looping swirls.

The plan is that it'll double up as a sanding pad...

E.

(it's good to know that there are manufacturers out there with a sense of humour).

Attachments

• hp7.jpg
    hp7.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,508
It's a scalpel for me. The blades are easily sharpened on a water stone or cheaply replaced when they break. After my trusty Swann Morton, both my Blue Spruce abd the Japanese knife like the one Derek suggests seem clumsy to me, so I don't use either of them.

Jim

Fromey":kv4vhr9l said:
Kernow":kv4vhr9l said:
mtr1":kv4vhr9l said:
I use this one, and find it quite good. Didn't buy it cos it was Japanese, but for the shape on the end for marking, and it can be spun fast. Replaces one I made, that got broken. Don't know about faithfull tools, check its square before buying.

Thats the knife I was warming to. Will look at the Kirschen ones also.

Kernow, if you want a left-handed knife, I have one to spare and will gladly post it to you.

Thanx for the offer but I'm a right hander. Have gone and got a Swann and Morton scalpel to try. The Ashley Ilses knife is double bevel?

Single bevel, 1.5mm thick and available in left or right bevelled versions.

A popular modification is to go for the appropriate one for your dominant hand and then grind a tiny cannel on the top, giving a sort of offset spear point. That way you have the main edge for general marking out but still retain the 'flipability' of a spear point knife.

Back