Marking hand tools. How and why?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen couple of hand planes and chisels with previous owners name on them.

Do you mark your tools? Why and how?
Is there anybody here who makes metal stamps?

let’s get some opinions in.

I dont mark mine but if I worked on building sites I would.

That's precisely why.
When hand-tools were all there was to use, journeymen often worked on sites or in well-staffed workshops and kept their own tools in their own chests.
According to his indentures (which I still have), my Gt-Grandfather started his apprenticeship in a carpentry firm in 1879.
It cost his father 25 Guineas and the agreement had an appended note in pencil on the back, signed by his employer that it was completed in 1884. I still have a very few items with his name stamp.

Probably one of the first things a woodworker had made..... and there are still many, many tools available to buy from those days with names stamped on them, sometimes two or three names as they were passed on when the owner retired, died or had no use for them..

Makers of name-stamps are very hard to find these days, though I had one made by Tiranti, but I don't think that they still do it.
I don't work - and never have - worked on sites, but it's a pleasant vanity.

Digging deep into my memory, when I worked in factory Personnel (now HR) back in the early 70s I recall the odd union dispute about which maintenance fitters tools were provided by the Company and which they were expected to own themselves. Fitters all had their own padlocked toolbox by their benches, so the practice of owning and marking was common.

@Argus You want Chalco stamp and die.

Had a Chalco mark made - very finely done using a modern technique, but not as deeply cut as trad, so on some woods less clear. NB do a trial in similar to see how hard you should hit, one strike, and not really necessary to mark multiple times, as many did.

Then I was lucky scrabbling in a junk shop box to find an old stamp with my brother's (not uncommon) name and initial - as he died young, I'm now proud to put his name on some of my tools.

I’ve posted this before. It was either my Great Grandfather or Great Great Grandfather. They were both J Barnard. Both were carpenter/jouners. I have a few tools with the stamp too.
AD38D660-D1A5-4EEF-A806-343A505FF1FE.jpeg

I find it fascinating when names are embedded in tools. I have a number of tools namely planes, chisels, and moulding planes that have names on them - some of them with 3 or 4 names. It makes me wonder who these people were and the work they did. I personally think an owner of a tool should add their name as part of that tool's journey......

I have seen couple of hand planes and chisels with previous owners name on them.

IF and when Cast-Iiron tools are Stamped with the owner's name the impact can cause a Hairline Crack to start....Which may, during the stresses of normal work, become worse !
The Functioning of your tool could be compromised & aint no-one got time for that !
Much Safer to mark your name with a Carefully-Set Vibro-Engraver.
Name Stamps are best used on Wooden Tools Only.

My family have been woodcarvers for over 100 years my son is the 5th generation
my and my son still use the original name stamp on any new or old tools we buy

During my apprenticeship I worked in a workshop of around 30 carvers cabinet makers and chair makers I trusted every last one of them
But we all had our names stamped on the handles
Was it. being nieve :unsure:

During my apprenticeship I worked in a workshop of around 30 carvers cabinet makers and chair makers I trusted every last one of them
But we all had our names stamped on the handles
Was it. being naive :unsure:
No, just practical. You'd all be working with some near identical tools easily swapped by mistake. You'd suddenly find that your meticulously honed and polished bevels weren't behaving as they did, or your favourite chisel was 1/2" shorter than you thought.... etc

Back