Marking dovetails .. with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Derek

Very impressive. I can see how that blue tape virtually eliminates the mistake of cutting on the wrong side of the line.

I haven't seen your kerf chisel before. Looks useful. Have you ever had it cause a split, despite the clamp?

I use a similar jig originally for windows - it works well and saves a lot of time

PICT0862.jpg

Beautiful lap dovetails Derek. Why is tape generally blue in the USA, I believe it is referred to a "blue tape", here it is any colour.

Often called "painters tape". Most UK DIY shops sell it now - B&Q, Homebase.

One page...only one page of excellent photos and an absolute treasure (military!?) chest of innovation and ideas!

=D> =D> =D>

Firstly...my favourite tropical wood...stunning Jarrah....I am actually in the process of sourcing some more to add to my two tiny pieces....I want to build my tool chest fronts from this wonderful wood and it's going to take a while!

Secondly...brilliant idea with the tape...especially on dark end-grain...bravo there mate!

Thirdly...that chisel...where does one get one of those...it is simplicity in itself and so easy...the fit is wonderful!

Lastly...nice jig...can't fail to get square there mate!

All in all...one of the best blog posts this year! =D>

Cheers for that my friend! 8)

Jim

jimi43":3csr46kr said:
Thirdly...that chisel...where does one get one of those...it is simplicity in itself and so easy...the fit is wonderful!

Tim Rousseau uses the same technique when cutting half-blind dovetails. Instead of a modified chisel to sever the fibres he uses a card scraper. Demo here http://www.youtube.com/user/lienielsent ... AlIM0dzrUg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Another vote for using card scapers for the same job, available in a range of widths to suit and they have an additional fuction as a scraper!

So...do you sharpen the edge into a bevel and just bash them....?

Edit....(Jim watch the video first...!).....yup...you just bash them...I'm amazed that they don't bow...but I guess these are the thicker card scrapers...the saw kerf thickness ones! Great tip!

Jim

"Kerf chisel" a good idea but more useful for marking out from pin-hole to pin-end IMHO. I use an Xacto type craft knife (chisel ended blade) for this.
PS Hang on a sec I've just had another look - Derek's chisel has a square end, for marking you'd need a bevel.
Hmm.

Hi Jacob

I did make one that was for use in marking dovetails. This had a bevel on the working end. It needed to be tight in a kerf otherwise there was the danger that it would wander from the sidewall and mark inaccurately. It was better to use either a knife or the saw blade in the kerf.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hello,

Blue masking tape is an exterior grade tape, with a much longer removal time (a week or so) than the indoor varieties. It is produced from a different, stronger paper, with differently formulated pressure sensitive adhesive coating.

I rub the marked out lines with chalk to heighten their visibility: white chalk for dark woods, red for light coloured ones.

Using a card scraper for mark-out and for deepening the saw kerf of lapped dovetails is and old trick in Europe. A 0,6 mm thick scraper is really good for that...

Have a nice day,

János

I made one some years ago, following the card scraper notion, but putting a handle on it so you can hit it.

6280335739_af05e52dec_z.jpg

Best of both worlds in my view. The scraper is the right thickness to match my dovetail saw kerf.

6280337301_e22d4a7253_z.jpg

Very easy, very quick and very cheap.

Ed

Back