Marking and measuring...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I need several pieces to be the same length, I stack them together and mark them all at once using a square. If it's for rails, I'll mark the tenon shoulders this way, with a knife, as it's the critical dimension for keeping the frame square.
If the bits are small and fiddly, it's worth clamping them together.

IMG_3570_zpswh9wqmex.jpg

Just to throw another tool into the mix - for measuring spaces in rooms (e.g. to fit things into alcoves) I have found my cheap laser measure hard to beat. It fits into gaps easily, has way better accuracy than my tape measure, and is much easier to use for long distances.
They are awfully good aren’t they? We bought one years ago for measuring a shop floor and did a job that should take hours in minutes

Steel rules will beat a tape any day. I don't know why metric rules with a hook at the end are not available - I see them in American catalogues but in imperial only.
Otherwise a digital vernier is indispensable ( to me anyway ) . I found 12 mm chipboard yesterday that had expanded to 12.8 due to moisture uptake ! They all fail after a few years so I just buy a budget model online and don't feel too bad about chucking them.
And yes, I second the suggestion about laser meters. They really take the hassle out of internal measurements.

me too RGIvy
talking of tapes I rather like the Stanley big tapes.....
also just bought 2 New/old metal cased Stanley's.....they feel nice in thehand...

Back