Market Research Question 1: Shellac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smart

Chestnut Products
Reaction score
Hi All

We're thinking of extending our range with, among other things, shellac in flake form, popular with so many people here (and for good reason!).

So a couple of questions to ask, to try to make sure we get the basics right:

Firstly, which shellacs? Dewaxed Blond, Dewaxed Lemon etc?

Secondly, most people sell this in plastic bags which has always seemed to me to be unhelpful; I'd imagine the product goes everywhere once opened and resealing the bag is very difficult. We're thinking of using plastic containers with lids - are we trying too hard here? Do users of this use the whole bag at a time perhaps, or would you see an advantage to being able to put a lid back on it and keep some for another day?

All feedback welcome!

Terry Smart":11mbnlng said:
Firstly, which shellacs? Dewaxed Blond, Dewaxed Lemon etc?

Dewaxed Blond for me, thanks!

We're thinking of using plastic containers with lids - are we trying too hard here? Do users of this use the whole bag at a time perhaps, or would you see an advantage to being able to put a lid back on it and keep some for another day?

I like your thinking. :) Regarding the container types - what about those "pinch seal" airtight bags, like biscuits sometimes come in? Would seem a lesser cost than plastic containers?

Ray.

Dewaxed Blond (strange term that.......) for me and the resealable bags, like Zip bags, would work.

Noel

Terry,

I'd say blonde, button (orange) and garnet covers all the required bases - all dewaxed. You might want to consider selling a proper "mixer" too. Having switched from purple meths to clear methyl alcohol (I think that's the stuff? I know it has a little shellac added to it to stop it upsetting customs for being "proper" alchol or something), I've found it seems to do a much better job than meths and I avoid any danger of the purple dye effecting blonde shellac on pale woods. Dunno why it isn't more accessible to buy - some legal reason I know not of? Anyway, fwiw.

Personally I don't use a whole bag at a time, no way! I just put it into self-seal bags. I know some people store shellac flakes in the fridge or freezer, so they might not want an unneccessarily large tub, half full, taking up room and losing them SWMBO points. A resealable bag would be favourite for me.

Cheers, Alf

Terry,

I prefer de-waxed and usually use blonde. Any resealable robust container (tins are fine) as long as it doesn't have one of those stupid childproof lids that turn me on a good day into a Grumpy Old Man and on a bad day into a slavering beast from Hell.

Seconding Alf, a decent finishing spirit to go with it would be useful.

Hi Folks

Good thoughts so far, keep'em coming!

We're looking at quite a long lead time here, several months, but we'll let you know when the time is right!

In the fridge, Alf? Do they know something about shellac that I don't? I'm under the impression that unmixed it lasts ages.

Thanks for the input so far, more is welcome!

Terry Smart":1jv75rep said:
In the fridge, Alf? Do they know something about shellac that I don't? I'm under the impression that unmixed it lasts ages.
Well I suppose it's the most obvious cool, dark place?

Cheers, Alf

Alf: where do you currently get your 'non-purple' methyl alcohol?

Shady,
Dunno about Alf but my I get mine from Fiddes (they call it finishing spirit) although the last lot I got said ethanol rather than methanol on the (plastic ) container. All previous supplies said methanol. I haven't actually checked with Fiddes because ethanol works fine too (that is the drinkable (hic) kind that gets denatured with methyl violet etc in meths but I am not sure what has been used in this stuff to denature it).

Methanol dries even faster than ethanol which I prefer for French polishing so I may go in search of methanol again. Years ago when I flew RC model aircraft, that was the fuel we used in the motors so I guess a model shop will have it.

Thanks Chris: it would be nice to find a 'screwfix/RS/Axminster style place - so Terry, there's your market opening!! I'd definitely buy if I found a reliable and not stupidly expensive source..

At the moment I buy the Liberon pre-mixed super blond dewaxed. Yes, I know, heresy. heresy - but actually, it appears to be consistent quality, and saves a bit of effort. I get a bit more than I'll need, and throw it after the job's done. As a 'mini product review', I'd recommend it.

I got mine from a galoot, and it damn nearly knocks me out every time I open the container. Not actually sure if it's ethanol or methanol; a very plain, unadorned, plastic container. Tsk. [-X

I used the Liberon pre-mixed blonde de-waxed as my shellac introduction, and as long as you get it from somewhere with a reasonable turnover, it's not bad.

Cheers, Alf

Terry I'm with
Alf ...I'd say blonde, button (orange) and garnet covers all the required bases - all dewaxed....
on this one if you are talking range of product, and also a source of clear methanol mix to support the 'blond' product at least.

Re-sealable (zip-up, but not so cheap that it takes forever to re-align the two halves) plastic bags with clearly readable and semi-permanent label would seem to be the ideal and taking up minimum storage space.

Terry

So far I have been lazy and purchased ready mixed "white polish". I would be interested in buying shellac flakes and a suitable "solvent". I have used industrial meths in the past but my customs and excise licence has expired/got lost and I have had problems purchasing said stuff anyway.

Bob

Alf":6ghexlcd said:
I got mine from a galoot, and it damn nearly knocks me out every time I open the container. Not actually sure if it's ethanol or methanol; a very plain, unadorned, plastic container. Tsk. [-X

Sure it's not pocheen, Alf? :lol: :lol: You're not too far away!

Cheers,

Trev

Alf":3d6akm6q said:
Terry,

I'd say blonde, button (orange) and garnet covers all the required bases - all dewaxed. You might want to consider selling a proper "mixer" too.

Cheers, Alf

I'm with Alf on the Shellacs, I use de-???? methyl alcohol but my supplies are a bit varied, so only for the blond, for the garnet I use good old meths as that is easy to get, mind you I never polish to a high gloss finish (I've started negotiating with Houtslager to teach me that fine old art, states it would take me 3 months to learn!!!) I just wipe it on and sometimes finish it with wax.

A nice pot with a lid would be nice, I store mine in a round metal biscuit tin (Our local biscuit maker sells his in these - even with a free handy sticky label and they stack too!

Meths is blue.

Anyone ever found a way of getting rid of the blue colour.

(perhaps if you put a yellow colour in with the meths you would get green :lol: or red and get purple)

Still wouldn't drink it of course but a different colour or shade could be handy as a stain?

Alf":3libnr25 said:
Terry,

I'd say blonde, button (orange) and garnet covers all the required bases - all dewaxed. You might want to consider selling a proper "mixer" too.

That goes for me too.

Alf":3libnr25 said:
Personally I don't use a whole bag at a time, no way! I just put it into self-seal bags. A resealable bag would be favourite for me.

Me too

I also sometimes wonder about how much to make up. I wonder how difficult it is to measure and mix. Is there any way to have say three or fours sizes of shellack and mixer as packs. Eg Like the just add water..you know I really mean spirit.?

alan

Latest posts

Back