Mark Sanger Inspired Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hesh

Established Member
Reaction score
Rummaging through an old copy of a magazine I came across a Mark Sanger Oriental Style box and thought I'd have a go at something similar. It started as a 4x4 piece of Sycamore, it was turned, sanded to 240 and then attacked with a small dremmel bit to create the texture. I then scorched it and added a red dye for some contrast before sealing with a couple of coats of spray lacquer. I'm fairly happy with the overall effect but the handle could do with some work (this was changed from Marks original idea and probably wasnt a good idea) but I'd welcome any comments and critique. Final measurements are 3 1/2 x 4".

Steve

Attachments

• DSCN0591.JPG
    DSCN0591.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 934
  • DSCN0582.JPG
    DSCN0582.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 934
  • DSCN0590.JPG
    DSCN0590.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 934
Hey Steve , I'm sure Mark will be pleased with the inspiration he passed on to you and your effort to carry them out . =D> As you say you are not happy with the top I take that to mean the finial . :?:
Perhaps if you were to shape it in an acorn style it may add a bit more to what is a very tasty bit of turning and texturing .

Thanks for the comments,

Marcros, just my use of words as it was a Chestnut Spirit Stain I used.

Eugene, yes thats one to think about for the next one, Marks was very oriental but I didnt set out to copy his so am still playing really, this was a departure for me but best I get on with my platter as I dont want you getting too far in front of me in the challenge :D :D

Regards

Steve

I'm on a tight rein at the minute Seve, just waiting for the right moment to unleash an unstoppable surge .
Going for a Gary Sobers six sixes on the trot :lol: :lol: :wink:

I really like it - except for the 'handle'; no surprise there I guess!

Looks well executed.

Thanks Jumps, I will have to rethink the finial (see I got there in the end :) )

Eugene: You go steady, best to pace yourself rather than go for a quick score :lol:

Steve

Back