Mark Sanger DVD review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
All,

Along with several people I have been eagerly awaiting the "hollow form" DVD from 'our own' Mark Sanger. I've bought several woodturning DVD's in the past, some good, some not so good. As a previous customer of KTMP I got a small discount on this purchase but I've no connection to KTMP or Mark - save through this forum.

So what did I make of this one? Well, firstly it does exactly what it says on the tin, namely takes you through the entire process of making one of Mark's 'signature' hollow forms with contrasting Anjan finial. There are sections covering how to select the 'position' of the form in the log; how much (and why) to allow for movement during seasoning, rough turning; the full process of finish turning the form; discussion of what generally constitutes a pleasing form; how to make the 'bead' finials; use of one of the buffing systems. The actual hollowing, which would be difficult to follow if an actual complete form were made, is neatly shown in detail by 'slicing off' the the outer parts of the form Mark demonstrates on - effectively showing the 'inside'.

That's what it covers, how it covers it is obviously subjective, so just my opinion. I've never seen Mark demonstrate in the flesh but I like his style on screen. He's a straightforward turner, tells you what you need to know and adds in some 'professional tips' along the way. I'm not a fan of demonstrators who feel the need to throw in jokes, banter with the camera crew or 'be your mate" and fortunately Mark doesn't indulge in any of those.

Was it worth the money? If you're like me and don't find it easy to learn from books and don't like 'experimenting' then yes, shell out the £ and learn from someone else's mistakes/experimenting. If you prefer to learn on your own then you probably don't buy this type of DVD anyway. If I hadn't bought it for myself I'd have been happy to have found it with my Xmas presents under the tree!

My only gripe, and it's a purely idiosyncratic one, is that the short biography on the back of the DVD appeared to have been unchecked for grammar, there being little or no punctuation amongst other things. Not the end of the world but it just niggles me on a professional product I've paid hard earned cash for.

Again, only my personal opinion.

Cheers,

Neil.

Oh I'm glad it wasn't another Tickle Comedy Session with his mates. I'm not surprised by the poor grammar and lack of attention to detail by the producer.

Thanks for the review, I'd vowed not to buy another KTMP production but as I'm such a fan of Mark, I'll treat meself. Will give me something to do while I'm recuperating after the operation.

Well done Mark, looking forward to it.

I watched this dvd about 2 weeks ago and can honestly say that mark has done a terrific job- hollow forms is such a vast subject it would have been easy to go off on a tangent and spend 30 minutes waffling about different type's of tools or 30 minutes waffling about seasoning etc but mark has successfully walked the fine line of covering everything without going over the top on any one paticular area.

i do agree with tom about some of karl's previous films how he banters with the demonstrator etc ( i also find this annoying)but this dvd is 100% focused on proper technique and turning.

Me and Mark are friends but my friends know that i do not bulls**t and that i am very honest (which is why i haven't got many :roll: ) so when i say this is a good dvd i do mean it and i wish mark every success with it.

I did find some of Eli AVisera's ones amusing as Eli doesn't take any rubbish and just ignored the 'humour'. :D

Neil had already convinced me but with Georges stamp of approval it's as good as ordered. Mark do you take orders direct or is it all through Karl?

I thought I'd add my comments as I was lucky enough to get this as a Christmas Gift. I've got a few DVDs from various people including Jimmy Clewes which I particularly enjoy but this one as people have said covers the lot. It's a long DVD but needs to be as it covers a project from start to finish and covers everything you need to know to have a go (I've already been out to the wood pile to select a couple of pieces that hopefully will fit the bill). I like Marks style and especially like the cut away form which means you can see the tool in action. I'm seriously considering taking a class with Mark after seeing this as it's definitely a direction I would like to explore.

Steve

Very handy review. Thanks.

We have a full day with Mark in May. First time he's been to the West Oxfordshire club.

Looking forward to it.

Robbo

Have to say this dvd is exalent well worth the money mark is a very nice guy doesn't know me but i phoned him and asked him some questions and he was only to happy to help me.

Spasm

Back